On Sunday a two year old boy was killed at our zoo. To say this hit me hard was an understatement. I take my boys to the zoo all the time. Owen runs free. He could have climbed up on that exhibit. We lift him up to see better all the time.
A Mama lifted her son up to see his favorite exhibit and he fell in and died a horrible, tragic death.
I wrote a piece about my feelings over here at Kveller.com
Less than an hour after it had been posted two editors from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the largest newspaper here, called asking to use it.
It ran in the paper and on their website where it recieved over 2,200 shares and had almost 100 comments.
People said some horrible things about this mother. Pointed fingers and placed blame. Because if you blame her for being a bad mother, maybe that means something as horrific as this could never happen to our own children. But the fact of the matter is that it could have been anyone.
I recieved an email from someone close to the family thanking me for my article. Saying after all of the horrible things that had been said and written they were so happy to have something nice put out there.
My heart breaks for that mother. It will break for her for a long, long time. I cannot bring myself to go to the zoo. That will take time too.
I can't even imagine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the article. You have an amazing way with words xoxox
ReplyDelete