Monday I had a particularly busy day scrubbing toilets and chasing Owen. Around 8:30 p.m. I began having four to five contractions per hour. I knew I had been pretty active so I laid down and was trying to stay calm and drink water because Jeremy was on call. By 11 p.m. I was having seven to nine contractions per hour and decided it was time to call the doctor. Since this is the window where I had cervical changes with Owen, they asked that I come in.
I was going to drive myself, which the doctor did NOT approve of, so we woke up Owen and took him. Plus Jeremy was on call and answering pages the entire time.
After signing a bazillion papers (one of which was consent to have my newborn’s picture taken. AT 28 WEEKS?! NO! And how is this essential paperwork?), I was headed back to observation. Jeremy and Owen were asked to remain in the waiting area, which was completely FILTHY. We rushed out of the house and didn't even think to bring socks for Owen. Jeremy let him watch Curious George on the ipod, and while they were both exhausted, Owen was a very good boy despite being woken up in the middle of the night. Here are my boys in the waiting room...
By the time they took me back and had me hooked up it was like 1:30am and the contractions stopped. Then a doctor came in and said she was going to examine me. All along they had been telling me who was on call for MFM, so I assumed this was a fellow. I was hesitant about the exam because I HAVE NEVER BEEN EXAMINED this pregnancy. Just as she was about to do it, I saw her fleece said, OB/GYN. I asked her if she was the MFM fellow, and she said, "No, I'm a resident but you'll be meeting Dr. "blah blah" from MFM shortly I don't think you've seen her yet" And proceeds to do the exam TWICE because she isn't sure what she felt!! Turns out she was a 2nd year resident, I could have had JEREMY check me if I wanted a second year resident's opinion! Then she says, "well the external OS is open but I felt the internal OS and it seems to be closed and I don't feel any baby parts pushing down." What in the HELL does that mean? And who says "baby parts" to an expectant high-risk Mama?? Next thing I know the nurse comes back telling me I'm free to go. At 3 a.m. I met my tired family back in the waiting area and we headed home.
Jeremy was BEYOND pissed that they wouldn't let him back (they said the rule was no toddlers, but the lady in the room next to me had her family with her). He had no clue what the resident was talking about either, and he was mad that they didn't just ultrasound me. Jeremy was like, "so she just pushed her way through the open part to keep feeling??? On a high risk patient??"
I was frustrated and just wished I would have stayed home until they stopped. But how would I know? I also have no Procadia at home or anything else to stop contractions.
Jeremy came with me to the doctor the following day and we explained that we were less than thrilled about our time in triage. My appointment was with the chairman, he apologized said he'll talk to the resident and then said, despite her poor communication, everything still looks good.
So, I haven't had any contractions since so I'm hoping it was a fluke. I don't want any more digital exams than I have to so I'll go back to the doctor in two weeks. I'm still getting my P-17 injections every week and I've been trying to lay down during Owen's nap to rest a little myself.
Just need to keep this boy INSIDE!


No comments:
Post a Comment