Sunday, August 28, 2011

....SIX baby bellies


I've written about my experience with informal milk sharing and up until now I've always donated milk to babies I know. 
I stopped pumping in May with a freezer FULL of milk.
Owen has yet to drink any of it.
After donating to friends, I was saving the last 1,000 ounces for when Owen weaned.
Owen hasn't weaned.
So I joined a social-networking group for Pennsylvania women to share breastmilk
Human Milk 4 Human Babies
 I saw a post that said this:
I'm in need of milk for my 1 month old son. I am unable to breastfeed him due to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and a previous segmental mastectomy to remove a breast mass. I had a c-section and he was in the NICU for 9 days due to low blood sugar. I tried to nurse him and pumped but only produced a few drops each time. Please help us.
I contacted her to ask if she would like my summer/fall milk from last year.
She was thrilled and today she and her husband came to collect 
500 ounces of breastmilk
I didn't ask her any questions. 
She didn't know anything about me or my family.
I didn't know anything about her other than she lives in Pittsburgh and the above information about her baby.
I even thought about backing out, how weird was it to give 4 gallons of breastmilk - to a stranger?

But as Jeremy loaded the milk into her coolers
she thanked me and said,

"Would you like to take a peek at the baby?"

Of course!
And as I opened the car door to gaze upon her tiny sleeping boy she said,

"his name is Owen."

10 comments:

  1. Awwww! It was meant to be! How touching and what a great thing you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. my. gosh.

    Tam!!!!


    What a blessing - what a beautiful, wonderful sign of God's blessing on your hard work and generousity in donating that precious milk for that precious boy.

    I am seriously crying.

    and i think milk donation is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just got chills! It was meant to be, and good for you for doing such an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great story! And what a wonderful thing you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goosebumps all over. What an amazing thing you can do for these babies Tam. Such a generous donation to help those tiny tummies get the best nutrition and an awesome start in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I almost started crying! That is so beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to donate to such a deserving family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAH! Amazing! You have so much to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That gave me cold chills! What a wonderful thing you did for a mother and baby you don't even know! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your sweet comments. I just couldn't stop thinking about that moment, I too got chills (almost started crying actually).

    It truly was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chills... Doesn't life work out in the most mysterious of ways. I love the idea of breatmilk donation - if only I had been able to produce enough for my own!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails