Thursday, June 24, 2010

Four Months Old

Dearest Owen,

Today you are four months old and ever more the joy of my life. This has been another eventful month for our family of three. We traveled back to Dayton for your Daddy's graduation from medical school. Your Daddy blew us kisses from the stage when he received his diploma. It is amazing to me that you will never know your Daddy as anything but a doctor, but just know that the journey has been long and he has worked so hard. Your Daddy made us so very proud.

The next week we took your first plane trip to San Francisco. Five hours and you were a trooper! You slept and nursed and everyone complimented you on the way out. You met your Great Grandma Florence and she just ate you up. She is 93 years old and was beaming with pride when she saw you. She checked out your fingers and toes and gave you tons of kisses. When we were with her you let out a HUGE giggle and she was so very happy. We met lots of good friends and you had fun with your cousins. What a little traveler you are my boy!

Each month that passes your Daddy and I say how THIS is our favorite age. We loved to snuggle you as a soft, sleepy newborn. Your smile MELTED us to goo the first time we saw it - and now, now you coo and talk. You look around and interact with us all day. You love when we wear you and snuggle you tight, which we have to do a lot because you HATE your carseat/ the car/the stroller. We're hoping you outgrow this, because it makes Mamma so anxious when you scream while I'm driving, but a few times this week you've actually fallen asleep in the car.

Right now a bib is a must for you, you drool so much and suck on your hands and fingers. We were hoping you'd find your thumb, but no luck. Sometimes you suck your middle two fingers and sometimes just your left pointer finger. You rolled from tummy to back for the first time on May 30th, but you've only done it a few times since then. This week you started throwing your hips around and scooting while on your back. You're definitely trying to go somewhere (much to Mamma's disappointment, I'd rather you stay where I set you down, at least for a little while longer!)

You started sleeping through the night right at three months. You go to bed by 8pm and sleep soundly until 5 or 6am when you want to eat and then back to bed, sometimes until 9am! You like to sleep in little one, which is fine with me. You are starting to like your baths more, and like to play with your toys. You love when we read to you and you LOVE to look at anything that has lights or Elmo on it. You breastfeed like a champ now and I don't take a single feeding for granted - this is our time together, the most special times of my day are spent rocking and feeding you.

Today was a happy and sad day. Today on your four month birthday, your Daddy began working as a doctor. Our little family had something so special, we have been together all day, every day - the three of us - for the first four months of your life. We've snuggled you, bathed you, read to you and cared for you. In your first weeks of life Daddy woke up with us for every feeding. He helped bottle feed you when we were struggling, and supported us until we were triumphant with breastfeeding. All of your moments up until now have been with both of your parents. This is so rare my love, this was priceless, precious time that I am so thankful for. You love your Daddy so much, he knows how to make you smile in so many unique ways. He likes to kiss you on the back of your neck, right between the folds where he says you smell the sweetest. Your face LIGHTS up when he comes into the room. Of course you love me, but you get food from me, and you grew big and strong inside my body. But your Daddy, he won you over. You love your Daddy so very much, and even though he will be working a lot and it kills him not to be there to read you Goodnight Moon every night - he is so much a part of you now. I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful these last four months have been and how lucky we were to have spent them together as a family.

When I am with you, I have to pinch myself sometimes because you are so perfect. Caring for you is the most fulfilling thing I've ever done in my entire life. I tell you everyday that my goal is to give you more kisses than the day before. Watching you grow big, strong and happy is everything I want and pray for. Just don't grow up too fast sweet angel, I need to soak in every last minute of your babyness before it slips away.

I love you my shy, smiley boy. I cannot wait for another day with you.

All my love,

Mamma

1 comment:

  1. GAH! Tears streaming down my face! What a beautiful love letter to your amazing, precious boy. You are both so lucky to have Jeremy, too - what an amazing husband and father he sounds like!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails