First I have to wholeheartedly apologize for my first slight to the second born child as you will find no five month letter. I think it was a blur and I could partially blame you for my lack of sleep because you are still up every two hours (if not more). I think your four month growth spurt blended seamlessly into your first tooth at 5.5 months making sleep hard to come by. So you have one little bottom tooth that you've bitten me with twice. Ouch.
(In addition, you will find no pictures of you posing with a sticker on your chest which denotes how old you are. I blame this on lack of light in our apartment, and again, I'm tired.)
You sleep swaddled in the cosleeper next to my bed, but prefer to be IN my bed. We also have the swing in our room and you go in there around 530am when I'm totally delusional and just need some rest. I had every intention of putting you in with your brother, but he still very much adores his crib and I'm not about to have two children up every two hours. So you'll stay in with us, I like having you there even if it means I get less sleep.
You have inherited my booty, sweet boy. You have the chubbiest butt I've ever seen. We have you in size 4 diapers during the day and you wear your brother's size 5 diapers over night. You are wearing nine month clothes but quickly outgrowing those. I can't wait for warmer weather when I can have you in a onesie all day and let your chubby legs and feet air out!
We confirmed this month that you are allergic to cows milk protein. After months of you being gassy and uncomfortable with some questionable poop, I ruled out all other problems and then saw blood in your diaper. Tell tale milk allergy, so I eliminated dairy from my diet and it's all better now. Most babies outgrow this sensitivity by a year or so we'll keep you (and me) away from dairy products and hope you outgrow it sooner rather than later.
One day this month you were sitting at the table gagging yourself with a spoon, you like this game.When I was ready to put you down for nap,I tried to nurse you and you were gagging. I looked in your mouth and saw nothing, so I figured you overstimulated yourself with the spoon. You didn't sleep long and cried to nurse again. Each time I attempted to nurse you, more gagging. It had been almost four hours so I knew you were hungry. I swept my finger around inside of your mouth again only to find A SOCCER BALL STICKER. You must have been moving it around in your mouth all morning and your gag reflex was keeping you from choking or swallowing it. I have no idea how you got the sticker, there are stickers all over the house so it's no wonder. To say I felt horrible was an understatement and the fact that you are my second child was never so apparent. Owen wants to share everything with you, and asks me every morning when you will be big enough to play with him. I try to be vigilant about what he's giving you (or how hard he's kissing you or laying on you while you try to do a baby push up with him on your back. Sigh.) But it is impossible for me to keep you as safe as I kept him. I would have to throw away all of his toys and stickers and make him play with baby teethers all day long. I can only hope and pray that I can keep an eye on it and find these things before something bad happens.
And through it all, you just giggle. Whenever I think about you, my heart lights up. The word that defines your very existence is JOY. You've brought so much of it into this house, our souls sing when you are around us.
I'll be more vigilant - just keep laughing, my sweet son. Just keep laughing for me. Oh and remember, the love of a child is greater than cheese, and one day I hope you'll appreciate my sacrifices, even if there isn't a five month letter.
Always,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment