Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Today doesn't feel much like WINNING

I try really hard to stay positive.
I try to be a cheerleader for our family and have great pride in taking care of the three of us.
But today, today was greater than I could give.
Since July, Jeremy is rarely home. 
His meal is waiting for him, covered in plastic wrap when he gets home.
But all of the things leading up to that plastic wrapped meal - and the hour afterwards. Are a lot.
I revel in motherhood and adore my son, but being a single parent is hard stuff.
Harder than I imagined.
Today Owen woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
He screamed all day. The most high pitched, annoying scream.
The kind of attention-drawing scream that grates at your nerves and tests your patience.
He screamed in my face through breakfast and threw his food on the floor.
He kicked and screamed through our errands - in Costco, in Target.
Stink bugs are invading our house again - so I needed to go to Lowe's to get bait for our trap.
Owen screamed and kicked in while I tried to talk to the lady about why it was sold out.
And then I drove across town to Home Depot.
I tried to feed Owen chicken nuggets in the car, but he wasn't hungry.
So he spit chewed up chicken, all over the car.
He nursed to sleep and napped for three (GLORIOUS) hours.
I prepped dinner, folded 3 loads of laundry, ate lunch and cleaned the toilet.
Much to my dismay he woke up in the same mood.
He ate a snack, we took a walk.
He screamed and kicked when I had to take him out of the stroller in Rite Aid.
He took off his shoes and socks and threw them on the pavement.
We came home and he tried to play with and eat a stink bug.
I grabbed it from him and rushed him off to wash his stinky hands and mouth.
I put him down to go grab the bug and flush it.
He decided to take a box of Arm&Hammer pet fresh and dump it all over the pantry and kitchen.
I put him in the high chair and he screamed while I swept and washed the floors.
I fed him dinner and put food for Jeremy and I in the oven.
Owen screamed in between every blessed bite of his dinner.
I washed the dishes and as I loaded the dishwasher, my hand got caught in the rack.
I pulled it out, Owen was yelling, my hand was covered in blood.
I bent over the sink and cried.
The screaming wore me down and the fucking dishwasher sent me over the edge.
At that moment I wished to God that Jeremy would come through the door and save the day.
That he would pour me a glass of wine, scoop up our fussy boy and put him to bed while I plated our dinner.
But, much like the last few months, that didn't happen.
I poured myself a glass of wine and held a papertowl on my bloody fingers.
Through my tears, chugged half the bottle.
I ate a piece of dark chocolate while Owen stared at his sobbing Mama.
Today I wasn't enough.
I put Owen to bed and took a shower.
I ate my cold dinner and I'm sitting on the couch alone at 9:55pm.
Jeremy's days are no better than mine and at least I have the sunny ones when I play with a smiling boy.
But that wasn't today.
I can take comfort in knowing that I'm not the only resident wife who struggles
But my back hurts, my ears are ringing, and my cold dinner and scraped up hand are not a welcomed ending to this horrible day.
Because I have a big job too.
I decide what we feed him. I decide how we discipline him and what his days will hold.
I make sure things are clean, bills are paid and our son is loved.
In writing this I'll have a record of our sacrifice.
By the end we will have given ten years of our life to medical training.
If he walked through the door tonight and told me he wanted to go back to being a teacher...
I gladly swallow $250,000 in debt and pack our bags.
But there's no going back now.
So I recite my mantra over and over again on days like this,
Make your expectations low, hold your love and respect for him high, and keep your eye on the prize. 
For me the prize is not the money of being a doctor - its having my husband back.
Its having a partner again.
Five more years is worth a lifetime of him, of us.

Today got the best of me, thankfully, there is always tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Tam. I am so sorry to hear about your no good, very lousy day. It will get better. I guess they (whoever that is) say we have to have a few bad ones to appreciate all the good ones. You are doing a great job. I did have to laugh a little about the yelling. Soren started that around Owen's age, maybe a little earlier, and we thought, and sometimes still think, we would go out of our freakin minds. We read everything, talked to the pediatrician, bugged other parents, you name it, we searched for answer to the most piercing noise on the planet. We did get a lot of ideas, but started to come up with a few things that worked for us, including pinching his nose everytime he screamed in addition to telling him why he shouldn't do that.

    Keep at it. Keep up your mom support groups, outings and activities, and the keep the occasional bottle of wine in the cabinet, your entitled.

    You are not alone. Take care, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tam...my heart broke, reading this post. I wish I was closer, wish I could scoop up your boy and bring him over to play with Connor so that O's hard-working, amazing Mama could get a much-needed, much-deserved break. I'm not there but I'm holding you all tight in my thoughts and prayers and praying that tomorrow will be a better day.

    You didn't ask for advice but I'm wondering...is a part-time, 20-hour a week job for you feesible? 20 hours to think of no one but you, 20 hours for Owen to go to school and play with others his age and let teachers care for him during that time? I realized after about 6 months at home with C that I was a better Mama for some time away, knowing that my boy is loved and cared for in my absence, that he's safe, secure and knows I will always come back. Maybe?

    Thinking of you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had one hell of a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day. Some days, the only thing left to do is cry - and I'm glad you let your guard down and allowed yourself a few moments of release, even if amidst shrieks and screeches of a toddler. Tonight, I hope you'll take time to prioritize YOU - the amazing Momma who sacrifices day in & day out for one adorable little O and a very lucky husband. Don't forget to remember how lucky they are to have YOU.

    And yes, tomorrow is a new day. Here's hoping the rain cloud lifts.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing an awesome job as a mama.
    And I have to be honest even if my bad days aren't comparable, they are still hell for me.

    Thank God for wine.
    Thank God for chocolate.
    Thank God for naps.
    Thank God for bedtime.
    Thank God for a chance to share how you feel and know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. I'm sorry your day was so hard. We all run into times when we feel like it's too much. You had every reason to lose it. It's good for you to have some release, and good for O to see that people have natural reactions to their circumstances. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that you've already thought of this, but I guess there's no harm in asking - Do you think he might be coming down with something? Or maybe teething?

    I'm so sorry you had such a terrible day. I hope the next brings sun, laughs, and a happy little boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a mom is the hardest job there is, no questions asked. I am so sorry you had such a rough day. Babies have their bad days, just like we do, and it sounds like you guys were pretty in sync with your moods that day. It's hard to see through to the other side when you're living in the tough moments, but the other side WILL get here. Hang in there, you're stronger than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww I have such great friends! Thank you so much, everyone.

    Owen is definitely going through some stuff. His sleep is really weird right now too. Maybe 2 yr molars on the way? who knows!

    Yesterday we rough for him too because he didn't have much of my undivided attention b/c I was so busy. He wanted to be heard - and HE WAS!

    I was very proud of myself for not cursing at the dishwasher or his next words would have been "fucking dishwasher!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tam, I'm so sorry things are hard right now. You are such a strong, amazing mama and every day you make it through doing everything on your own is so impressive. We all have our days and O will be no worse for wear. Hopefully the chocolate, wine, and a little rest help the situation! Here's to a better day! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh tam, i can't believe i missed this. stupid blogger not updating my feed!

    i am SO sorry for such a terrible no good horrible day :( it really just sucks. suckity suck suck suck :(

    hugs to you and your little man and i hear you about the "eye on the prize" - everyday, i tell myself this is for our long term goals (brian is a screenwriter and this whole army nonsense is to pay for film school and living in LA) and i believe in my husband and God will see us through.

    but i still hate my stupid dishwasher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails