Ah, back to the drawing board. He is very good about eating from a spoon now and sometimes wants to try himself. When he is finished he swats the spoon away with his hand.
I recently read that after 1 year
My friend Kelly is trying to put some weight on her boy right now so she shared a babyfood recipe with me that HORRIFIED me at first (she even warned me before telling it to me) but when it comes to calories - it packs a punch.
'The Elvis' Baby Food
1 piece of whole wheat bread (we eat Brownberry Double Protein)
2 slices of bacon (uncurred, this way it doesn't have any icky nitrates)
1-2 tablespoons of almond butter (be sure there is no added sugar or salt)
1 banana
Fry up some bacon. I don't cook pork bacon, but I noticed the turkey bacon we have from Trader Joe's was uncurred so I used that. Break into smaller pieces and add to food processor. Add the bread ripped into pieces and pulse. Add almond butter and banana (I also added a few tablespoons of whole milk yogurt for a smoother consistency) Blend well. Yields (2) 4oz servings. (Note: watch for nut allergies and this recipe is best for older babies 8 mons + because it has a chunkier consistency)
Owen ATE THIS UP. I gave it to him for lunch today and when I stopped shoveling it in he started screaming and crying? Whose kid is this anyway? I was horrified but Kelly proved to be a genius once again.
Black Beans, Avocado and Yogurt, OH MY!
1/4 cup black beans (homemade or canned)
1/4 avocado
1/4 cup plain yogurt (whole milk)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (we used olive oil)
place all ingredients in the blender and puree. 1 baby serving or 1/4 cup (159.9 calories)
We doubled the recipe and it made (3) 4oz servings. Another hit with Owen (although I was skeptical, because it looked a little funky...)
The book also has lots of tips and tricks for feeding baby, a great conversion table in the back and a "Feedback chart" for each recipe you can note if baby liked it, any modifications you made, the date you made it and a place for notes.
As I've posted before, feeding Owen has always been "the thing" I'm most sensitive about. I think the bed rest and rough transition to breastfeeding (and me being crazy in general) has something to do with it but I'm always thinking about WHEN he ate, WHAT he ate, how much he ate, when he nursed, if he nursed, if he drank water. LITERALLY ALL THE TIME. I rack my brain trying to think of new and interesting things to offer Owen. I want him to explore foods and tastes while eating healthy. I have found making his food myself to be so incredibly rewarding and this weekend when Jeremy said, "I never imagined I'd marry someone who would make our baby's food. You're such a hippie! and I think its so totally cool." my heart almost exploded.
During Owen's nap yesterday we chopped/roasted/pureed batches of spaghetti squash, acorn squash, a batch of Prunanas (with yellow raisins for added iron), kiwi and pears - in addition to the recipes above. It was a fun afternoon, and it was nice to do it together. Now, every time I pop those cubes out of the freezer - I think about how they were made with love, by the both of us.
isn't papa support the best?! :)
ReplyDeletejust don't potty train him after one of those sannies. LOL, I keed, I keed.
ReplyDeleteHe's got such a warm smile. He smiles with his whole face, I love it!