Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Breastfeeding at the Biltmore

On our vacation in Asheville we met up with my friend Kelly (Owen's god mother "Doda Kelly") She is living there with her two boys (age 2 and 6 mons) while her Army husband is deployed for the next 13 months. The last time we saw each other was just after our wedding. She was my Jewish witness to our Ketuba (marriage contract)


Needless to say, when we saw each other there were LOTS and LOTS of tears. In the last two years there have been three babies born, five moves, a graduation, a deployment and entirely too much distance. But the amazing thing about friends is that it was like we saw each other yesterday. Except now, we are both Mamas! The first night we stayed with her she said nonchalantly, "Tam, seeing you as a mother is so amazing, its as if you've always been one." That comment made my heart burst with pride.

We had a great time with the boys and being around a two year old was a scary nice glimpse into our future. To say that Kelly is an amazing Mom is an understatement and it was so nice just to be together.

Both of Kelly's boys were born at 36 weeks exactly. Jeremy and I were there when she had PreE with her first son, Graham. Her second son, Ben just came out happily at exactly 36 weeks just like his brother. I remember when I was on bed rest and at 36 weeks and 1 day she called me and said, "You are in the clear Mama, you've officially held in a baby longer than me!" We are both nursing Mamas. She is happily nursing Ben into his sixth month. Her kid nurses (and falls asleep) ANYWHERE. Like at lunch. Her baby nurses and looks like this.

My baby nurses and then looks like THIS!

 She always has to one up me.

One night we had dinner with Owen's Nana and Papa (and Kelly and Ben) and then headed over to tour the Biltmore (so so so amazing by the way). The house was lit for Christmas and we kept the babies up past their bedtime for a little night out. Our little family of three was sitting in the backseat of my in-laws sedan on the way to the Biltmore. It was 6pm. Owen likes to nurse at 6pm. Our tickets were for 6:15 and we were running late as it was. Owen makes it known that IT IS 6PM!! I NURSE AT 6PM! I NURSE AT 6PM! I had heard (horror?) heroic stories at my Le Leche meetings of mothers who lean over the car seat to feed their screaming babes on car trips. I thought about it for exactly two seconds (Hmmm wonder how much of this can be seen in the rear view mirror) and then I flopped myself over my boy. And nursed him. Not before Jeremy says, "That's never gonna work." Two seconds later... slurp, slurp slurp. Happy baby.

I'm gonna admit. This was SO UNCOMFORTABLE. See previous statement again and then ask me what it felt like and I'll tell you - it was awesome. I make milk. That's my superpower.

As we were waiting to get into the Biltmore I told Kelly about my heroic car trip over - one in which my in-laws were none the wiser. She says, "Holy crap, you go dude!"

Fast foward two hours. Its late, we're touring the second floor and Ben gets hungry. We both wore the babies in front pack carriers and they were TOTAL ANGELS. Both of them. They were the only children in the place and again, TOTAL ANGELS. Ben was justifiably hungry but we were walking through narrow roped-off halls. Kelly asks if she can borrow my nursing cover, so I dug it out of my bag wondering how the hell she was going to pull this off. She unbottons the carrier, drapes the cover over her and WALKS NURSING HER CHILD IN HER ARMS. Oh and then - SHE CLIMBS TWO FLIGHTS OF WINDING STAIRS WHILE NURSING HER CHILD!!!

She always has to one up me.

After our tour, we took a shuttle back to the parking lot. It was late and time for Owen to go to sleep (CUE: ITS TIME FOR ME TO SLEEP GIVE ME YOUR BOOB). Kelly and I were sitting in the front row of the shuttle and OWEN WAS LOSING IT. Banging his head in between my boobs motorboating loudly as if to say, "THEY ARE RIGHT HERE, RIGHT HERE, LET ME HAVE MY MILK!" So what did I do? I pulled my boob out and nursed him.  Kelly: "Holy crap, you go dude!"

I would have totally pulled this off discretely except for when my husband sitting two rows behind me says, "Are you nursing Owen on here???"  Drawing attention to my exposed boob (and happy baby) to the other passengers. AND if that wasn't enough - my husband and my mother-in-law started to sing.

THE BABY ON THE BUS GOES SLURP, SLURP, SLURP.

Kelly: "Last night, I wasn't sure if I should be horrified or give you a high five. Thanks for the boob shot lady, I enjoyed it - the guy sitting next to you on the other hand..I think the singing tipped him off."

Long story short.

Dear Kelly,

I win.

3 comments:

  1. Both of you ROCK!!!! I love this post, it makes my heart happy. Yay for breastfeeding Mamas who do whatever it takes to feed their babies when they are hungry! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go mommas!! * High Five *

    ReplyDelete
  3. heehee!

    we did a lot of the "nurse and walk" with john (and definitely now with joey) - sometimes a mama needs to get things done! :-p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails