Friday, July 2, 2010

Four Month Check Up!


Baby Owen has DOUBLED his birth weight!!!

Weight: 14 lbs 4 ounces
- 38th percentile
Length: 25.5 inches - 70th percentile
Head circumference: 16.7 inches (42.5 cm) - 53rd percentile

Yesterday Mr. Owen had his 4-month visit with his new Doctor here in Pittsburgh. Our appointment was at 4:45pm so that Jeremy could come, since it was the first one we both wanted to be there to meet the new doctor (and Mamma HATES when O has to get shots). Owen usually naps from 5-6pm, so we were already entering cranky territory. Unfortunately, the doctor was running behind - WAY BEHIND. We had a cranky, down-to-diaper boy in the exam room and we accidentally took the swaddling blanket out of the diaper bag. Finally, I remembered there was one in the car and within two minutes of wrapping him up, he was snoozing away. The doctor finally saw us just after 6pm. He answered our questions first (my LOOOONG list of questions) and examined O last. He was a nice guy, and very up to date on current evidence-based literature. It will take some adjusting for me, as our pediatrician in Dayton was very touchy-feely-granola lady who was there for me through Owen's post-birth and eating saga. She always told me what a strong, beautiful Mamma I am and what a wonderful job I was doing with Owen. Do I need that kind of reinforcement? Hell yes, I eat it up.

The new doctor carefully unwrapped Owen and did most of his exam while he was still laying in my lap, which was very nice. He showed us how our boy was trending on the growth charts and said everything looks perfect! He said all that slobber doesn't necessarily mean teething, and was happy that Owen has met most of his 4-month milestones already.
  • Bearing weight on legs
  • lift and turns his head when lying on his belly
  • holds head up when in sitting position
  • responds to sounds and watches our faces
  • tracks objects 180 degrees
  • holds objects and brings them to his mouth
  • Rolling over, both ways
  • becoming vocal (cooing, squealing)
  • plays with his hands and feet

Then it was time for his shots. This office has combo vaccines so this time, Owen only had three needle sticks and an oral vaccine (which he slurped down like a champ!) Our boy was none too happy with that nurse and cried the biggest crocodile tears I've ever seen. Uh, my heart breaks when we vaccinate our baby!

By the time we got home, it was SEVEN THIRTY! It was time for Owen to go to bed, and he was sleepy and happy to nurse. Unfortunately, he woke up every thirty minutes screaming or whimpering, half the time his eyes weren't even open - my poor boy. I just kept patting him back to sleep and finally at 3am I scooped him up and nursed him on and off until 630am (side note: Daddy leaves for work at 4:45am and we were up). I was so exhausted, so I brought the swing into our room and finally Owen (and Mamma) napped soundly from 630am-1130am.

He was pretty fussy today too and took a monster nap in the afternoon. Note to self: Schedule vaccine appointments IN THE MORNING.

I am so proud with how big and strong our little one has become. When I close my eyes, it's becoming harder and harder for me to see that tiny cub we brought home from the hospital, I feel like everyday when he wakes up he does something new!

My sweet boy!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go baby O!! He's looking great! We go for our appointment on Wednesday...I am more than a little nervous for those shots! =(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails