"So, is this how it's gonna work? The more pregnant you get - the harder the workouts will be? Because I was hoping for the opposite. I'm dying back there and I look up - there you are pedaling away."
-The sweaty, burly guy from the back row of my cycling class (11/2/09)
-The sweaty, burly guy from the back row of my cycling class (11/2/09)
Once or twice a week I have the privilege of getting up in front of a group of 16-19 people and leading them through a grueling hour of spinning. I've said this before, but I am so thankful to be doing this at 22 weeks pregnant. I swear, its the only hour of the day that this little one sleeps! Which is a plus because my uterus bouncing around on my bladder makes for some scary climbs (squEEEze that pelvic floor muscle!), and him kicking me would only add fuel to the fire.
There are so many people who have questioned my decision to keep cycling. Don't you get too hot? What if your heart rate goes above 140 bpm? Is that good for the baby? I told myself early on that THE FIRST TIME I felt uncomfortable, I would stop. But I have read the literature, found a really good book and I truly believe this is what is best for me and my baby right now. My body feels strong and capable. I watch my heart rate and make sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after my workout. My goal is to teach until December, but I will listen to my body and stop when my body/baby tells me its time to stop (or when I'm as big as a house and the bike starts screaming for mercy - whichever comes first).
The official recommendation from ACOG is that women with normal pregnancies should get 30 minutes or more a day of moderate exercise. Exercising while pregnant:
improves gestation
improves digestion
prevents gestational diabetes
gives mom a boost of energy
prepares mom for the intensity of labor
makes for shorter labor and delivery
improves postpartum recovery
AND babies are stimulated by the sounds and vibrations they experience in the womb during workouts.
I also picked up a few great pregnancy workout DVDs. One is a Pilates routine for expecting moms and the other is a total body workout coached by this crazy, bendy Cirque du Soleil chick who is 9 months pregnant. BRING IT, SISTER!


So on Monday night, I told that sweaty, burly guy from the back row that I'm cycling for two, I don't tolerate slackers in my class and I'm going to take his comment as a compliment.
and I do.
Well damn! Go mama.
ReplyDeleteI am working my butt off and I am not pregnant, but I am determined with my next pregnancy I will work out and this is just a little encouragement to keep that promise.
I want to go to a spin class :( It was my favorite workout. For now we can't afford a membership and I don't have childcare. Some day!