Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cry, Baby, Cry! Stick your finger in your eye

When I found out I was pregnant, the first thing I did was clean the toilet. After all the horror stories I’d heard about morning sickness, I was convinced my little poppy seed was going to make me VOM my brains out at ANY SECOND. I scrubbed that bowl until the bristles frayed and then scrubbed some more. The next morning, I woke up expecting to make a heaving run for it...AND NOTHING HAPPENED. Each day I’d wake up thinking, "THIS will be the day I unleash my breakfast on the porcelain gods." After all, I’m a puker. You got the sniffles? I’m barfing. Broke your wrist? I’m spewing last night’s Mexican pizza. So with being knocked up, this was only the next logical progression in my nauseating medical history.

And clean that bowl I did. EVERY. OTHER. DAY. Was it dirty? Well, by my standards, living with a Y chromosome in the house is the definition of a filthy toilet. Resting my bum there is one thing but my FACE wasn’t about to take the chance of brushing up against the remains of a sleepy 3am pee. So I scrubbed some more. Until one morning I woke up and something strange happened...

It was my second trimester.

Somehow by the grace of God I’ve been unbelievably blessed with a strong, healthy body during this pregnancy. For the most part I feel wonderful and spend my days thinking about how since Jeremy never had the opportunity to hold my hair back while I blew chunks, he owes me a few dozen back massages.

My only pregnancy symptom has been a stabbing headache. I call it my “pregnancy headache” because it’s nestled just behind my left eye – every time, without fail. My first trimester was littered with them and there was nothing I could do to escape it. Tylenol, naps, cold compresses, warm compresses, caffeine, sledge hammers – nothing seemed to take the edge off. EXCEPT

Closing my eye and sticking my finger as far back as I possibly could.

Perhaps if I could tickle the headache it might subside? Who knows, but this type of pressure was like cupcakes for breakfast and no matter how much my husband told me it grossed him out when I did it – I just kept on poking. For the first time in my life I can say that poking myself in the eye IS AWESOME!

For the most part, the headaches subsided after my first trimester but I still have a few here and there. Today it’s definitely here. And as I sit at my desk (with freshly washed hands) subtly plunging my finger deep into my orbital cavity there is only thing that I can be 100% sure of

this little boy is so totally worth it.

and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails