Thursday, October 1, 2009

17 weeks and I'm no longer a single mommy

Here we are at the seventeen week mark and we made it through the long two months apart and two 16+ hour car rides. I think our marriage is safe.

Today we went to see Dr. K and he gave me LOTS of sass. I'm getting the impression he thinks I'm a little nuts (pregnant moms have QUESTIONS?? WHAT??) but I like to plan ahead. It was great to have both of us at the appointment and we were able to hear the heartbeat on the dopler. Jeremy counted and told me it was around 150 beats per minute. We were both smiling really big. Dr. K says everything looked good and sat down to take on my pre-written list of crazy questions (I made Jeremy hold the list this time, so they looked like OUR questions). Here are my questions and the subsequent answers Dr. K gave me.

Q: How much Omega 3 do you actually need?
A: I don't know. Some is better than none, that's my motto!

[Kicker - then he looks to Jeremy and says, "Unless you have any more up-to-date knowledge about supplements from your studies that you'd like to share." HELLO?! HE'S NOT GOING TO BE A VAGINA DOCTOR! HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW BABIES WERE BORN WITH THEIR EYES OPEN - THIS IS NOT THE GUY WE'RE REFERRING QUESTIONS TO HERE PEOPLE!]

Q: What about back sleeping?
A: I prefer my stomach but that's just me.

Q: When can we schedule the anatomy scan?
A: 20 weeks is fine.

Q: What are you feelings about natural child birth?
A: It's stupid.

Q: WHAT!?
A: I'm just saying, if you want to bake bread, burn incense and float around in a bathtub - let's just say, I'm NOT your guy.

He always likes to lighten the mood because apparently I'm entirely too serious. He said there aren't specific recommendations for Omega 3 supplements by milligrams so the fact that I am taking 1 pill a day is fine. He said not to worry about back sleeping until about 24 weeks when the uterus can push on the vena cava and he said he is totally open to letting mom go without pain medication (just not all the granola, no monitoring type of stuff).

I'm not interested in granola, I'm interested in having options and experiencing the birth of my baby (more on this later I'm sure).

He left the room reminding me, "You're not exactly a big person and a baby is way bigger than what you're used to squeezing out of that area. Just something to think about."

My question to you Dr. K - What do I normally squeeze out of my AREA?

I'm starting to get a noticeable bump - good thing we're telling our parents this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails