Friday, June 1, 2012

26.5 Weeks Pregnant: Memories of a scary time


Today was another OB appointment, and I have had a rough week. This is the exact time we found out that I was in preterm labor with Owen so every little ache, pain and contraction this week has been sending me into anxiety and tears. Jeremy was on call every other night this week, getting slammed, so we didn't really see him at all and it left lots of extra slack for me to pick up.

Owen and I waited almost 1.5 hours to see the doctor this time, and thankfully Owen was so well behaved. He ate snacks and watched Curious George on the ipod. When the nurse came in to see me she told me that I failed my 1 hr glucose tolerance test. The cut off was 135 and mine was 137. Since I have reactive hypoglycemia, I'm already at risk for gestational diabetes on top of ALREADY having a high risk pregnancy. She told me that I need to do the 3 hr test, which requires you drink the glocola and then wait in the lab for THREE HOURS to have your blood drawn. Owen came with me for the first one and waited the hour, but three hours with a toddler is NOT happening. I told her Jeremy doesn't have a day off for a few weeks and they said that until I have the test I have to check my sugars with a meter 4 times a day. On top of that, I tested postive for Group B strep, and while it is just an overgrowth of natural flora it's dangerous for the baby and I'll need to have IV antibiotics during labor and delivery.

All of this news was a lot for me as I was already pretty upset anyway. When the doctor came in, I burst into tears and told him how worried I am about bedrest/preterm/ doing too much. He came right back into the room with an ultrasound machine and measured a perfectly normal cervix (with of course, more tears from me...)

He told me I am doing a great job and that my body is holding onto this baby. He said that if my body wants to contract in the evening to just drink water and lay on the couch. Contractions can be normal and as long as they stop, or don't get increasingly painful, I'm okay. I'm still getting my shots so that is another thing working in our favor. He assured me that I'm not going to "make" myself go into labor by carrying Owen, doing laundry or just being a Mama. It made me feel a lot better.

So while some of the news was less than ideal,  what Jeremy reminded me of later is that what I pray for the MOST is a healthy, full-term baby and right now a long cervix was exactly what we needed to see. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers... I'll breath such a huge sigh of relief in ten weeks.

3 comments:

  1. you're doing so great, mama! i wonder why i haven't been tested for group b strep yet...that has to be coming, i'm assuming, at almost 33 weeks? hang in there...your body is doing an incredible job. sending love and prayers every day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats funny they did the group b so early... normally its not until 36-37 weeks?

    so sorry about the GD test :( are you going to be doing the diet? lastly, there are other options besides the AB for GBS, if you wanted some info. and, if you do decide to go the AB route, you can do it in such a way where you're not tied to the IV the whole time. i can't remember it exactly, but can ask my CH insructor b/c we had mamas in our class who had to do the ABs and they were able to get them in by a certain time or something and then get the IV off so they had more range of movement. if you've found a doula then she might know what i'm thinking of

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers continue to come your way! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails