Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting Ready for Passover

We spent this week getting ready for Passover...

I wrote two posts over at Kveller.com. One was a printable favor tag that I designed as a Passover seder favor for kids.  The second article was my very first celebrity interview. So many of my holiday recipe's come from Shiksa in the Kitchen and I was thrilled that Tori agreed to the interview. I think it turned out really nicely with lots of pointers for converts hosting a seder.

I'm still new to sewing but had a blast making some goodies for Pesach. I found a tutorial on how to make reusable cloth sandwich baggies and I modified the template to make an Afikoman bag. During the Passover seder a special piece of matzah is broken and placed in a decorative bag (sometimes broken into several pieces/several bags depending on how many children there are). The bag is then hidden by the host of the seder and at the end the children search the house to find the Afikomen. Once the bag is found they return it to the host in exchange for a prize. I ordered the Judaica fabric online and lined the inside with a muslin fabric that I already had. I made one for Owen and another for Doda Kelly's boys. Sewing straight lines isn't my specialty but I was really happy with how these came out, mistakes and all.


I had some matzah fabric left over so I appliqued a tie shirt for Owen and a onesie for a friend for her baby's first Passover.


My model has a pretty cute cheese face, don't ya think?

We were invited to celebrate 1st and 2nd seder with our neighbors again this year so I am in charge of Kosher-for-Passover desserts. I went with my staples from last year -- dark chocolate coconut meringues, almond butter cookies and a new addition this year Flourless Dark Chocolate Walnut Cookies. We don't really like nuts, but I had walnuts on hand so I made them anyways and THEY ARE AMAZING! Gooey, chocolatey with crispy edges. So good. I just need to figure out how to make them without the nuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails