Last year my in-laws bought me a beautiful new sewing machine for my birthday. Unfortunately, I was so intimidated by it, that it sat in the box for almost a year now.
I learn much better by doing so for Chanukah Jeremy gave me an Introduction To Sewing Class at a local studio here. A really kind reader from Kveller owns a fabric store on Etsy and she sent me the fabric for my class free of charge.
The studio is small and it's run by a young new Mama who grew up sewing and wanted to teach other people how to do it. They showed how to thred the machine/bobbin. How to sew straight lines (um SO HARD), circles and how to pivot corners. The project for the class was to make a 16X16 pillow. I wanted something that would be useful to me, so the teacher helped me adjust my pattern to make a lumbar pillow for my nursing chair. The class and the sewing machine were both WONDERFUL presents and Nana/Papa were even here to watch Owen one of the nights while I was away at class.
You know what? I did it! I sewed something all by myself!
Last weekend Jeremy cleaned out our pantry room and we stopped by IKEA for a desk. He set up a sewing room for me and I love it.
The first thing I made was a pair of sucking pads for my Ergo! I also made a frog washcloth for Owen because the newborn ones are too small but the adult washcloths are way too big. He was thrilled! I'm realizing that sewing is an expensive habit, and I need to pace myself with fabic/tools ect. But I'm happy to be learning and to cross something off of my resolution list for this year. I can't wait to make a few goodies for our new little one on the way! Also? I can't wait to take another class and learn to sew more things! Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You're right - it is HARD to sew in a straight line. Your projects came out beautifully. Great job!
ReplyDelete