People say this all the time, but until you've been pregnant more than once, it's hard to imagine anything being different from the first time around. I was incredibly lucky for the first two trimester's with Owen. I was in great shape, slight food aversion but despite my efforts cleaning the toilet every single day of my first trimester --I never vomited. I didn't even have nausea. My skin was glowy and beautiful and I was a little tired, but nothing unmanageable.
This pregnancy is SO different. I've had food aversion to almost EVERYTHING. I mistakenly ran out and bought sour candy and lemonade (my 1st trimester cravings with Owen) and had no interest in eating any of it. I've been dry heaving my brains out (involuntarily at times!), my skin is a minefield of huge zits and I'm completely and totally exhausted. Jeremy had a lot of time off during December and January which ended up being a blessing because I was sick on the couch most nights from about 5-9pm. They ate lots of tater tots. The only similarity between this pregnancy and Owen's are the terrible headaches. Most of the time, it's behind my left eye but sometimes behind both eyes. The only time I have gotten these headaches has been when I'm pregnant. It's so weird.
During our trip to San Francisco, I was about 7 weeks pregnant and Owen wanted me to hold him and nurse him around the clock. I have never been so exhausted in all my life. Mid-trip Jeremy even considered booking flights home because I almost couldn't stand it anymore. I took lots of naps and I'm sure our friends/family thought I was the laziest Mama on the planet (Jeremy was changing all of the poopy diapers because the smell was making me dry heave). I was taking Zofran that Jeremy called in to help with the nausea (and appear more normal...) but it gave me horrible constipation and I had to stop taking it.
When Jeremy's parents visited in late January we had no choice but to tell them I was pregnant with all of the dry heaving going on. One night I took some Zofran so we could go out to dinner. Dinner was a success and I was able to eat some salmon. We headed over to the custom milkshake shop for dessert and I enjoyed a strawberry milkshake, right up until my last sip when I thought "This was a mistake." I dry heaved on the sidewalk on the two-block walk back to the car and then puked up my shake behind the car while Owen mimicked my vomiting noises EXACTLY saying, "Mama makes that noise!" --- Needless to say, everyone was DYING laughing. Who laughs while your daughter-in-law barfs behind your exhaust pipe? My in-laws. And my husband. And if I weren't so busy being sick I probably would have laughed too.
Now that I'm in my second trimester, I'm doing a little better. I have more energy, the headaches are only once or twice a week and the nausea comes and goes. Not constant. I'm still not very hungry -- actually the only thing I've craved this pregnancy has been... fried chicken. Yep. FRIED CHICKEN. We never eat it and in my first trimester alone, we ate it four times.
That's my update for now. We waited a while to announce our pregnancy and I'm trying to do updates as best I can.
Here is a video of Mr. Owen after he turned two. It's mostly a long video of him telling me "No" but around the 3 minute mark he talks about taking pictures of Mama's belly and the baby jumping. He talks about that a lot!
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Maybe this one is a girl?? And maybe a Southern one, at that, wanting fried chicken! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you, though not so much about the vomiting/heaving- hopefully that part stays behind you!
I craved fried chicken ALL the time with Carter and then I would eat it and be sick...you would think my brain would cut it out but nope. The next week I HAD to have friend chicken and I would be so disappointed afterward. hahaha Our bodies are so weird ;)
ReplyDeletePS- those are C's favorite jammies :)
ReplyDelete