Monday, January 23, 2012

The flicker we've been praying for

Today we had our first appointment for Baby #2. We waited a little longer to go in because all of the weeks of "maybe" that surrounded us last summer was a hard pill to swallow. We just wanted a definite yes or no in terms of viability.

Owen and I set off for the doctor this morning and Jeremy was supposed to meet us over there for the ultrasound. We usually have to wait, but were called back as soon as we got there. I had Owen strapped in the stroller, so I just pushed him to the foot of the bed while I climbed up. As soon as the tech squirted jelly on me and brought out the wand, Owen started screaming, "NOOOO! NO HURT MAMA! ALL DONE! ALL DONE!" 

Regardless of how many times I assured him that it didn't hurt me and that we were just taking pictures of my belly, he continued to cry and scream. The tech was pretty flustered (as was I) but there wasn't much we could do. I feel bad because the visit was a little bit of a blur because I was so focused on calming Owen down. I don't remember what the baby's heart rate was or anything else the tech told me -- only that there was ONE baby in there and there was a perfect little flicker of a heartbeat. I quickly jumped up to dress and calm Owen down, only to realize that just like with Owen, Jeremy couldn't get there in time and had missed seeing the baby for the first time. We decided to look at it as good luck - perhaps he misses the first ultrasound for all of our healthy babies?

I am 7w6d but the baby is measuring 8w2d today. My ovulation dates are about a week off so even though they calculate the due date by last menstrual period it looks like I might actually be about a week further along .

7w6d: a heart beat!

2 comments:

  1. Such great news! I'm so glad everything went well with baby #2... he or she is already precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was such a relief to see a flicker though. And look at O looking out for his mama. Such a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails