Tuesday, January 24, 2012

23 Months Old

Dearest Owen,

How are you almost TWO?! Almost two years ago you blessed us with your presence and we haven't taken our eyes off you since. Where did the time go? Two sounds too old to me, because in my eyes you are still my baby. So for this month, for this entire month, you are ONE. Just one. And if anyone asks you, you are sure to tell them - I'm ONE!

You have changed so much over the past few months. We've been enjoying a lot of down time with your Daddy and he and I have been marveling at all you do. You (finally!) started drinking whole milk for us, although you still nurse three times a day. You have dropped your baby signs and now tell us quite pointedly what you want and when you want it. We are blown away by how verbal you are and how you remember so many of the things we tell you.  A few weeks ago we were all snuggling on our bed and you said, "Kitties feet are paws!"  Daddy and I looked at each other in amazement. Yes, Owen, Kitties feet ARE paws!  Daddy came home from work and asked what we did all day and you said, "Mama ga-mooned (vacuumed) all morning!"  We had to giggle because I DID NOT vacuum that day but it was nice of you to put in a good word for me in the chores department.

You continue to be a cautious observer at the playground and in social situations, although you like to get right up close to other children to observe them. You will share anything you have with another child and your gentle spirit makes my heart swoon.

You love to listen to music and to sing songs. I've heard you sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" "Pat-a-cake" and "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" to yourself, complete with hand motions! You request that we sing to you too, especially, "Happy Day Song!" Which while we have no idea what this actually means, you're quite satisfied if we sing you "Happy Birthday" and repeat it a million times over. We read 15-20 books a day. Mostly the same dozen books over and over but you've been letting me introduce some new stuff into our mix.

You love going to the Children's Museum and "pinting!" (painting) and you also enjoy playing at the Toy Lending Library.

We introduced the potty and you've peed in it twice, and accidentally pooped once. You should have seen your face when you tooted only to turn around and find a small turd in the pot! You looked at me and said, "Treat?" and I had to give in because technically, it counts. You still arn't sure about the whole potty thing and we've been careful not to push it with you. We'll keep it working on it.

This month has brought lots of big emotions too. Instant tears if you don't get your way or are a little too tired. We haven't started "time out" yet because we don't feel you understand the concept, but we do try to point out what you are doing wrong and ask you to apologize for your behavior. To which you reply, "Saw-yee" :) The other day you were having lots of tears over something very trivial and I heard your Daddy say to you, "Sometimes little boys have BIG feelings, and that's okay."  We're doing our best with this new stage and I can honestly say I couldn't have a better partner to weather the storm with.

You have requested an "Oh My Dinosaurs" theme for your 2nd birthday party so I'll be spending the next month working on that. I look at this picture from a year ago and I simply cannot believe my eyes! In the pictures you are so very different. So grown up and such a beautiful boy. But in my eyes and in my arms you are exactly the same as you've always been, my perfect baby Owen.

All my love,

Mama

January 2011

January 2012

1 comment:

  1. Twenty three months...I'm not ready yet! Missed your posts but glad you guys have been spending lots of family time together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails