Dearest Owen,
These summer days together have been so wonderful. Every morning we wake up with cuddles and oatmeal (or waffles, or yogurt, and always, always "boo-baa-bas") and we head out for our daily adventure.
I slather sunscreen "lotion" on each of us while I sing a silly song. We make sure your hat is packed "hat!" and we put ice cold water in our water bottles. We go to the library, or to the pool, or to the park, or to the Children's Museum. We meet up with different friends, or host playgroup. Sometimes we just take a walk to the post office, the grocery or the bank. Your little toes dance in the wind and we can't help but stop to share some frozen yogurt together on the way home.
Sometimes we pack snacks or meet friends but usually we head home for lunch and soon after you're nursing to sleep in your dark, cool room with the fan blowing and soft music lulling us both to sleep. This is my favorite part of the day, I soak you in and rock in the stillness, the babyness, of your room.
You and I have sunkissed arms and cheeks.We're both hesitant to step into the cool pool water, and I always go first. You would swing at the park for hours if I let you and are getting braver and more adventurous with every step you take. Each night I bathe you in the tub and wash away the smells of sweat and summer and replace it with the scent of honey and milk. I lay you down and you blow me a kiss. You close your eyes, and dream.
I can honestly say this is the most perfect summer I've had in a long, long time.
Because of you.
xo,
Mama
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment