Today Owen woke up at 6am screaming his little heart out. I rushed in to get him and my heart sank as I picked up a burning hot baby. I stripped him down to his onsie and took his temperature, 102.3. SHIT. I fumbled around for the Tylenol while he screamed on the changing table. O has had some low teething fevers before but never anything over 100. I brought him into our bed and tried to comfort him but he was having none of that. I brought him back in the nursery and rocked him and nursed him and finally he found sleep around 9am. He woke up screaming again at noon and I took his temperature again, 105. I almost cried when I saw the thermometer reading. I actually started to get light headed and felt a little nauseous with fear, but forced myself to get it together. I gave him more Tylenol and called the doctor. They said to keep him hydrated, dressed cool and loose, give Tylenol every 4 hours and to call back in an hour to report if the fever had gone down, "even a couple points it good, just know you're not going to bring it back down to normal and that is fine as long as you can bring it down a little bit."
An hour later it was 103.2 so apparently that was moving in the right direction. I literally spent the entire day with a firey ball of crying, nursing, sleeping baby attached to me. My heart was breaking for him and I did everything I could to stay hydrated and try to sneak in meals for myself. Each time I tried to put him down he would cry hysterically so I scooped him back up and made my way to the couch. We stayed in the same spot most of the day, he nursed and slept while I cleared out the DVR. It was 70 degrees and sunny today and I so badly wanted to bring him outside for some fresh air but he just wanted to be held and nursed.
Jeremy came home from work around 7pm and tried to relieve me. Owen was asleep nursing when Jeremy walked in the door and in a groggy, sleepy voice he said, "Dah-dy?" MELT ME WITH CUTENESS WHY DON'T YOU!!
It was long day and even with Jeremy home, Owen wanted me. It felt nice to be needed, but I was longing for that smiley boy from yesterday. In the last few days we've been around a toddler who goes to preschool, we've been on a plane and he's licked a few shopping carts (much to my horror). Somewhere along the way he picked up a nasty bug that is tearing through his little system.
Today I learned a new lesson in being a Mama. I learned to be calm and patient. I learned not to take it for granted when O is too busy playing to nap. I savored the snuggles and was so grateful I was able to comfort our boy. Today was hard, but we made it through.
Please keep baby O in your thoughts and prayers, hopefully he'll be on the mend soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
prayers - hope today isbetter! L(
ReplyDeletePoor sweet boy - hope he is feeling better today!
ReplyDelete