Thursday, March 3, 2011
Extended Breastfeeding
Today I had my first feature article published on Kveller! I wrote a version of this article a month ago for a blog post but when they received it they asked that I elaborate on a few things because they really liked it and wanted to use it as a feature story. There is a small portion of our birth story added in and I was really happy with how well its been received.
Just as some side commentary, I do not judge anyone who cannot breastfeed or who chooses to wean at 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, whenever. That being said, I do believe that breast milk is the best option for human babies and it is hard for me not to be a little disappointed when someone doesn't at least try. For us it wasn't easy, and I have no idea if I would still be nursing Owen if I went back to work. I just know that I am nursing him now and he shows no signs of weaning. I have no intentions of making people uncomfortable in public or feeding a five year old from my breast - but when I look at Owen, he is still very much a baby who needs his Mama's comfort, attention and milk.
I always knew I wanted to breastfeed, but when things got off to a slow start I kind of gave up my goal of 1 year and made tiny more manageable milestones for myself. My first goal was to make it to 3 months, this proved to be the most difficult but once I got there I set "mini goals" of 6 months and then, 12 months. Around 11 months Owen went on a nursing strike from teething and the thought of weaning him ran through my head. I came to the conclusion that he was in pain and desperately wanted to nurse, but couldn't. I didn't want him to come back to the breast after the pain had subsided only to find that his beloved "baby milk" was gone. Now all of my goals and expectations are fulfilled and we nurse because that's what Mamas and babies do. With any future children, I can hope that the early days are easier, but I have confidence that I can figure it out and will succeed.
I am very lucky to have a wonderful support system here. I have attended La Leche League meetings monthly and have a great group of friends through this. In the beginning I really needed the support, cheerleading and information that the group offered (we have close to 16 moms at any given meeting). Now, although I still get hints/tips on biting, introducing whole milk and toddler nursing behaviors, we go to see our friends and nurse in a judgment-free environment. In our playgroup, all of the mothers have nursed their children AT LEAST until one year, with most upwards of two years until the child self weaned or the Mama got pregnant again. And last, and most importantly, is the constant love and support that Jeremy has offered to Owen and I as a nursing pair.
Making it an entire year is a huge accomplishment for us, not one that I feel needs to be validated by others, but one that I am most proud of. Nursing Owen has contributed to my overall success as a mother and instilled a sense of "i can" in me that I was desperately seeking. I don't care what anyone thinks of our parenting style or decisions, only that we make decisions as a family and do what works best for us. Weaning Owen will be a decision, hopefully led by him, that we will make together when the time is right.
Thank you for reading, commenting and supporting our journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

ok i just wrote this awesome long comment and blogger wigged. UGH.
ReplyDeletethe gist was a) i love the new blog header - cute!; 2) rock on with your nursing self, its so inspirational how much you've overcome and persevered. not to mention 12 months is really just a larger baby, which is something i didn't get until i had kids. and, i'm so grateful i stuck to the "childled" part of weaning: it made it painless for both of us, gave me a great tool in my toddler arsenal and helped johnny through some rough spots when brian was gone (which was the hardest for me, not because of my missing spouse but because my 18mo old started nursing like a 4mo old) and lastly, its super awesome how supportive your husband was. mine was as well but apparently, this isn't always the case (i've had friends share this with me). i can't imagine being able to mother as i do without the love, support and cheerleading from my hubby.
also, i used a lot of quotations and made more intelligent sounding comments. stupid blogger.
Thanks Lina, your advice and encouragement has helped me along the way too!
ReplyDelete((blushes)) aww, thanks mama!
ReplyDeleteI love this and I love you and your little nursing buddy, too! :)
ReplyDeleteHave you introduced whole milk? If so, how has Owen taken to it?
I'm a little jealous of all your support! I am the only one in my play group still nursing and almost feel like an outcast because of it. Even the girls who did breastfeed for a while continue to ask me how much longer I am going to do it. Thank goodness for bloggy friends!! ;)
ReplyDeleteTam, this is so awesome! You are a rockstar, congrats mama!
ReplyDelete