Owen has been a little off his game this week. He slept in until 10am the past two days and instead of enjoying it, I freaked out and ran into his room to make sure he was still alive. Ah, motherhood. He was still smiling through our days together but just... off.
Today we went to the JCC for storytime and as we were walking out he barfed EVERYWHERE. Me, him, the parking garage. All of us. Yum.
I was a little thrown off, I mean it was actual throw up - a first for us. So we went home. I cleaned us both up and put my clothes and his coat in the wash and we sat down for lunch. I tried to find bland things for him to eat, so he had some pears and a little chicken soup with oatmeal mixed in. He opened his mouth a few times for each and then he was done - which was totally fine with me. I turned around to get a cloth to wipe him and... BLECK. Again, all over himself.
Once - perhaps a fluke? Twice. Maybe he's sick?
After I cleaned him up I cuddled him on the couch and it snuck up on us. AGAIN. And in a valiant attempt to save the couch - I caught most of it... IN MY HANDS ((gag))
I realized that I had never had another person puke in my hands before - mine? Sure. Plenty of times. Growing up I used to cup it while I ran from my bed to the toilet because the rule in our house was, if you make a mess - you clean it up. My mom gagged at the sight of throw up so we were pretty much on our own when it came to that.
Some things about babies puking -
--- there is no warning
---- it makes a mess on everything in its path
---it still smells like adult vomit (without the beer and left over Chinese food)
the funniest thing about it was that Owen was completely unphased. Most of the puke today was a sneak attack. Like an unsuspecting puke-burp or barf-cough come to think of it - last night he hiccup-vomed all over Jeremy but we thought it was because Daddy jiggled him too much right after eating. But the best part about it was right after he did it --- HE SMILED. Owen laughs when he sneezes so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but smiling when you barf is definitely something he'll outgrow.
He is still nursing and napped like a champ today so we'll see where this sickness goes.
And in the meantime, we'll keep him hydrated
and smiling ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

When my kids get all pukey, I like to put a blanket over the couch, that way when they ralph, I have something I can just throw in the wash. Esp. as young as Owen is, you're not going to get him to aim for a bucket.
ReplyDeleteOH the things we mamas have to do.
ReplyDeletewait until he vomits IN YOUR MOUTH. and then, you not only don't also throw up, you calmly clean it all up.
oh my poor sick little guy (this was last year). i'm SO glad he's otherwise cheerful. there is nothing so pathetic as a stomach bug in a toddler - he was so scared of barfing, because he couldn't breathe.
get well soon owen!
sweet boy, i hope you feel better soon! we know all about The Sick in this house, and though we haven't had the repetitive puking yet, we know it's soon to come, because we've had just about everything else. :( what a lucky boy to have a mama who loves you so, who will snuggle you up and make things better! xoxo
ReplyDeletePoor O! Let's hope it really was a fluke and nothing else comes of it!
ReplyDelete