Tuesday, January 18, 2011

MESS, MESS and MORE MESS

In the last month Owen has really taken to eating solid food (FINALLY!)  He will pick up food with his fingers and lets me spoon feed him as well, so meals have been much less stressful. He eats three meals a day in addition to breastfeeding. He still nurses about 6 times in a 24 hour period and drinks 8-10 oz of water out of a straw cup each day.

7am - wake, nurse
8-9a - play, eat breakfast
9a - nurse, nap(9-11)
noon - lunch, more playtime, storytime or errands
230p - nurse, nap(230-430)
5p - dinner
6p - nurse (~2 mins), play
730p - bath, nurse, bed
1130p - nurse

Our days vary depending on naps and teething. This schedule was pretty set in stone since about 6 months (minus the solid meals) but he just started to shorten his morning nap. If he sleeps in past 730am, he doesn't want to take a morning nap at all and that makes for a fussy afternoon.

He eats (whole grain organic baby) oatmeal with fruit mixed in for breakfast and has an egg yolk or whole grain waffles to go with it. Usually has lunch with me - some hummus on bread, cheese strips, goldfish crackers, banana or yogurt. Sometimes leftovers. For dinner he has a veggie and yogurt and something off our plates (he's a big fan of ground beef and ground turkey these days).

O has been wanting to feed himself with a spoon - so last week (when I was feeling EXTRA patient) after he ate some blueberry oatmeal for breakfast, I let him practice spoon-feeding himself some yogurt. The nice part about it was no matter how he dipped the spoon, it was coated in yogurt so each bite was rewarding. He actually did a pretty good job. A few times the spoon was even right side up!

6 comments:

  1. i feel like such a slacker mama - i never know how often the baby is nursing (this one or johnny) until they're down to 2-3 times a day. i'm just like, eh, whenever! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only reason I know is because Owen is NOT a grazer. Never has been. Has wants large meals (both sides) and then is done. He also associates sleep with nursing so does it when he's tired.

    I didn't push a schedule. I just kind of waited and found his natural pattern. We go with it. Mornings have changed significantly with him getting up earlier and earlier over the past few months. and he refuses to nurse in bed with me now :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. that makes me feel better :) my new little guy seems more this way than his brother was - he prefers both sides.

    also, as john got older, he associated nursing more and more with sleep. and thats so funny (and sad :( ) that he won't nurse in bed with you - by the time johnny was owen's age, he would ONLY nurse in bed (which wasn't on purpose and became kind of a pain!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed by how often O nurses. So good for your supply, Mama! Connor has a great nurse first thing in the morning when I'm really full (I pump before bed around 10:30pm, and then it's 8 or 9 hours before C nurses)...then before his two naps and once before bed. That's it. And he hates all things sippy cup related (including straw cups, we've tried them all) so I worry that he's not getting enough to drink. With the introduction of cow's milk now that he's a year, all of a sudden he's drinking a lot more. Yesterday at daycare I put 3 oz of breastmilk in his two bottles, plus 5 oz of whole milk, and he drank the entire bottle, both of them. He NEVER has bottles that big when it's just breastmilk. Maybe he's growing? At least I know he's getting liquid. And then he still gets his great nurse first thing in the morning and again before bed, from me. I'm not ready to give up that special bond yet...we've worked so.incredibly.hard to establish our breastfeeding relationship and I'm going to cry when it's over...

    Oh, and C won't nurse in bed with me, either...we did that for months when he was teeny, and now, he will only nurse in his room, where it's dark and quiet and we sit in his rocking chair and he pulls his lovey over his face and all is right with the world. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for letting him try. In the past few months I just began letting Charlie use a fork or spoon, now I wish I would have let him play sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails