Jeremy and I have a fun tradition of making candy together for the holiday. We represent the OH-IO with dark chocolate buckeyes. My mom and I made over 300 of these for our wedding and I really thought she was going to go postal. Needless to say, it takes time and patience -- but they are so worth the trouble.
A steady surgeon's hands dip PERFECT buckeyes.
This year I made two new things. First were Trader Joe's rice cereal treats. If you haven't had these - they.are.amazing (and amazingly easy).
1 cup Brown sugar
1cup Organic Blue Agave Sweetener (buy at Costco, super cheap)
7 cups rice (krispy) cereal
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 bag chocolate morsels
Heat agave and brown sugar until just before boiling to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and mix in PB. Pour mix over krispies and chocolate - stir well. Spoon into 9x13 dish and pat. Refrigerate to set.
See? EASY.
The other new thing I tried was a version of THIS. I always have left over chocolate in the double boiler after making buckeyes and rather than
When I was making these I couldn't help but think about Owen. I pictured him as a little first grader complete with backpack and yellow pencils. I will stay up after he's gone to bed and make these tiny, kid-sized treats and then tuck one into his lunch box the next morning. What a sweet surprise for my sweet boy!
Now on to the cookies...





you made those for your wedding? you're a superwoman! :)
ReplyDeletealso, those frosty hats are ADORABLE. i'd be tempted if i didn't hate marshmellows :-p
also, slightly related, i don't know if you've posted before, but i'd love to hear you talk more about your conversion to judaism :)
also?
ReplyDeletepuppy chow is the b.e.s.t. t.h.i.n.g. EVA.
just sayin'
I feel your pain! My mother-in-law and I just made 400 buckeyes this past weekend! My hands are still recovering from all the madness :)
ReplyDeleteAlso- is Jeremy training to be a surgeon? What specialty? I've recently considered going to medical school to become a surgeon myself - I might need to pick his brain a bit!
yum..I think I laughed out loud at the pouring the chocolate into your mouth comment! Those look tasty. And you are such a sweet, sweet Momma!! Enjoy your goodies! :)
ReplyDeleteYUM! Buckeyes! My sister went to OSU and I used to love visiting campus for events and getting these yummies.
ReplyDeleteI used to teach spinning too, there is no better workout. I can't wait to get back on the bike. How long was it PP for you before you had the time and the wherewithal to make it back in for a class? I'm praying for one class by three months PP!
Congrats on your beautiful peanut making it to term!
OH!
This is such a great idea! My sister, brother-in-law and nephew had so much fun making these for Ollie's class. Great creativity! I will have to do this next year. :)
ReplyDelete