Weight: 19 lbs 3 ounces - 27th percentile
Length: 28.8 inches - 64th percentile
Head circumference: 45.5cm - 54th percentile
Owen had his nine month check up this week and as always, he was a star. He still doesn't have stranger anxiety so he was "chatting" away the minute the doctor came into the room.
The first thing she said was, "Oh my, looks like the baby I saw a few months ago has been replaced with a little boy. Its amazing how quickly that happens!"
You're telling me lady!
The first thing we talked about was Owen's weight. He did not gain since his 7 month sick visit (although we think they may have mis-weighed him at that appointment because when we brought him home he only weighed 18.5 lbs on our scale). She said the weight alone was not cause for concern because his length and head circumference are still following the same upward trends. She said is it common for children to "pick a new curve" around this age and he might genetically trend more along the 25th percentile. I am always hard on myself about O's weight and eating, and although he isn't super interested in solids he still eats plenty (a serving size is only a couple of tablespoons per meal) and nurses 6 times a day. She said to just keep offering and once he gets better at picking up food and getting it in his mouth, which he is just starting to do, he'll eat more because he can do it himself. I was so happy when she said, "by looking at this boy there is definitely no cause for concern. Healthy, happy boy."
We talked a little about gross motor and Owen's hesitation to crawl. He demonstrated for her how he likes to creep for Daddy's cell phone. She said "combat crawl" is very common and some babies do it for quite some time. She told us to just keep encouraging him. She noted that he makes up for what he isn't doing physically with his social skills. She praised how interactive he is, and loved his "talking" and smiles.He mimics sounds and makes lots and lots of noise and razzing!
We discussed a big issue we've been having with Owen - biting. It started out with biting while nursing and when we returned home from vacation he was biting my face, my arms, my neck - everywhere. It was like I was holding a tired piranha. I eventually had to start setting him down and let him cry because the biting was hurting me so badly. I've tried everything people have recommended to stop him, and nothing has worked. He only bites me, never Jeremy. I don't necessarily think its malicious biting, but those seven teeth are razor sharp and come close to breaking my skin. The doctor told me her son was a biter and she had a hard time breaking him of it. She demonstrated the tone we (I) have to use when he bites and it nearly scared Jeremy off his chair. She wasn't messing around. She said I have to be consistent and STERN (read: MEAN) to curb the behavior before it transitions into a problematic toddler behavior.
and there is was. My baby is being referred to a toddler ((wipes away Mama tears)).
No shots for Owen this month so he was a VERY happy boy! Jeremy and I almost fainted when we were scheduling our next visit -- ONE YEAR. We just sat there stunned that this little person will be one before we know it.
for his next visit.. .four shots and a blood draw. We pushed it off a week so not to cloud his birthday with such a painful visit to the doctor. Not looking forward to that one - Daddy is definitely going to have to get the day off ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment