Friday, December 3, 2010

Date Night

On the third night of Chanukah, Owen went to bed early because he was a VERY tired cub and we got a (stranger) babysitter for the very first time. Jeremy had a candidacy meet-and-greet for work where the hospital pays for drinks and appetizers while the residents schmooze the new applicants. (Read: FREE DRINKS AND FOOD) A friend recommended a nice girl named Mollie, so I called her. She was so sweet on the phone and when she arrived at the door my mind was at ease. There stood an ever-so-slightly chubby, college student with a hebrew necklace and rosy cheeks. She works part time at the JCC after school program and is studying early childhood education at Chatham (girls only college). She lives at home with her Mom while going to school and all of these things made her 100% qualified to watch my son. (Lets just say if I opened the door to a gum-chewing, Katy Perry look alike on her iphone-- all bets were off.)

The event started at 730pm and we needed to leave by 7pm. Owen usually starts his bedtime routine at 730pm and I was sick with the thought of someone else (a stranger no less!) putting Owen to bed, but I knew we needed to rip the band-aid off sometime and a night out was well overdo. Our boy decided to skip his afternoon nap and was bathed and ready for bed by 630. He nursed to sleep and didn't wake up! I've never missed a bedtime, and still haven't :) (so much for band-aids...) We were total party animals and each had two drinks (TWO!) and stayed out until 11pm talking with friends. I even wore a necklace (which I managed to lose), heels and a REGULAR BRA for the first time since Owen was born. This all felt sexy and fancy until 10:30pm rolled around and my feet hurt a like son-of-a and the bra (that barely fit in the first place) was screaming at the seams because I was totally full. You know its time to go when your wife is blatantly grabbing at her chest in an uncomfortable way.

AND I only texted the babysitter ONCE. Go me! Way to hold off on the crazy!

All and all a great time had by all. Especially our babysitter who sat on the couch and watched TV for $40.

Easiest. babysitting. job. ever.

Jeremy: "You know, with the way tonight went, Harleigh (the cat) could have watched Owen and it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!"

Me: "Its the price you pay for peace of mind. Oh and next time we need to remember to have food in the house for the babysitter to eat."

Jeremy: "Also, BTW, getting a babysitter makes me feel old."

Me: "Me too. That and she was watching ABC Family and The Jersey Shore?"

Jeremy: "I know. Pretty soon our cable company is going to call us and ask what the hell is going on."

3 comments:

  1. Sheesh...sounds like the night a few weeks ago where we tried to rip the band-aid off of someone else putting C to bed, and it turned out exactly like you did...baby fell asleep on the boob at 6:30pm and didn't wake up the whole time. Sigh...

    Yay for date night! Sounds like it was much needed. It's never easy to leave our boys, but we're better parents for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warning long comment.

    Hilarious. Sounds like my date night. Though a "stranger" hasn't ever babysat for us - with family across the street and a mile away there is no need.

    I went out for the first time in a LONG time this weekend to a girl's Christmas party. I dressed up with heels and a real bra and 2 glasses of wine was the max.

    Side-note: I am the mama with the cookies. I got rid of that blog. But glad to be following now undisguised. Also, I found your blog a while back through Spearmint Baby's feature of Owen's nursery.
    LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails