Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving

This year was our first Thanksgiving as a family of three - but away from family. We have met quite a few great people here in Pittsburgh and were lucky to have FOUR dinner invitations for the big day. I don't think we've ever had four dinner invitations anywhere so it felt nice to have options. We decided to spend the holiday with our neighbors (the same friends who watched O during my surgery and went trick or treating with us).

We split the menu and I brought my dishes over to their house once they were ready. My friend's husband is a pediatrician and he was on call that day so he missed dinner. Luckily Jeremy was post-call, so after a nice long nap he was ready for turkey.

Everything turned out great!

I made my Thanksgiving special
Potato Gnocchi with Autumn Vegetables
and Sage Brown Butter Sauce


and a few new recipes from my favorite Everyday Food magazine. I have yet to make a recipe from these little books that isn't wonderful.
Cranberry Pomegranate Relish (added raisins, VERY tart)
Cauliflower Gratin (for this I heated the cream before hand and melted in some Velveta cheese and garlic) This might have been the favorite dish of the night - everyone went back for seconds. Well, except Jeremy who doesn't let vegetables touch his plate.

Avielle was so happy that "baby Owie" came to her house for Thanksgiving.

Appetizer: TOYS!


As you can see O was the king of the table and he sat patiently waiting to eat.

This was Owen's dinner. He tried a little bit of everything but wasn't really interested (surprise, surprise). Up until now he has been a Mama-induced vegetarian so Thanksgiving turkey was his first taste of meat.  I can't say that he was impressed, but as usual, we'll keep trying ;)

Overall it was a great day and there were plenty of left overs for both houses. We were just very Thankful to be together, the three of us on Owen's first Thanksgiving.  We had lots to be thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. C wasn't interested in turkey dinner either! His favorite turned out to be the cranberry sauce which his father and I both hate! Glad you guys had a fun time! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails