Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nine Months Old

Dearest Owen,

Today you are nine months old. Oh my boy, this past month you have started to show your will and personality. You are a thinker and your candid eyebrows and smooshy nose speak volumes about everything in your world. You've been reserving your smiles and kisses more but always reach out for your Mama. You study everyone and everything - so much goes on in that little head of yours.

You have seven RAZOR SHARP teeth and LOTS more hair! Your feet are bigger (and stinkier!) and your legs are longer. I packed up all of your nine month clothes and cried the first night I put you to sleep in your twelve month jammies! And today - today your Daddy and I could barely get your legs and feet into them!? I cannot bring myself to buy you the next size up quite yet (18 month!?) so snug you'll be my big, long boy! Just until Mama can catch her breath.

You are going through a phase and sleep is less than peaceful for you right now. I think you are going to be a late crawler just like your Daddy was. But not for lack of trying my love, when you really want something you drag your little body around like a wounded soldier. Otherwise you cry for me to fetch your toys or pick you up. But you are thinking about crawling - you crawl in your sleep and attempt to dive out of my arms like you have somewhere to be. I'm living on borrowed time and the babyproofing isn't getting done any faster.

You are still nursing quite a bit, but only by your rules. Quiet. Dark. and calm. With no talking from me or anyone else in the room. Unless you're really hungry when we're on the go. You eat solids but still don't show much enthusiasm for food. I make myself crazy trying to prepare new and exciting things for you to try - you humor me for a few bites and usually turn your head away as if I've bored you to death. You'll almost always eat yogurt, pears, prunes, apples, squash and peas (one.by.one) and you've started to get some little puffs into your mouth with your fingers. I'm beaming with pride each time one makes it in!

You love music, singing and me acting like a total idiot. You are the most attentive audience I've ever had, even if I do have to sing Little Bunny Foo Foo for a half hour straight just to keep you from falling asleep in the car. You started talking last week saying, "Ah, Zuece" and "Bauw, Bauw, Bauw". The other night I was washing some dishes and I could have sworn I heard you say "Da Da" - I listened again but you were saying, "bauw, bauw, bauw". A few minutes later your Daddy came home from work and scooped you up for some playtime before bed. From the other room I heard it clear as day, "DaDaDaDa". You made your Daddy very, very happy - he needs to know you love him too and this was a great start.

Last year I made cranberry sauce to go with Thanksgiving dinner. I watched the juicy red cranberries POP and settle into a perfect mix of sweet and sour. I remember wondering what it would be like to have you at our table, in our life. On your nine month birthday I made cranberry sauce again and as I stirred it, I marveled at the color and magic in that pot and then I looked over at you in your exersaucer. You smiled at me as if to say, "I'm here Mama! I know you're daydreaming about me!" You are here, you blend in seamlessly to my day and I honestly cannot imagine a Thanksgiving table without you. This past year has taught me what it means to be completely and effortlessly thankful. I surrender my heart to those feelings everyday.

This year, thankful feels like an understatement.

Happy Thanksgiving baby O! Here's hoping I don't bore you with turkey and cranberry sauce.

All my love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails