Last night Owen was crying in his crib around 12:30am, just as I was headed to bed. I scooped him up to find a snotty, coughing, sneezing mess of a baby. He looked so sad and pathetic. I snuggled him close and put a little saline in his nose to break up the congestion. I brought him into our bedroom and tried to wake Jeremy to see if there was anything else I should be doing for him. He mumbled something that sounded like, "saline and suction" and I let him be, proud that I already did those things (having a doctor for a husband for the most part is no different than having a plumber for a husband - except we have to call someone when our toilet leaks).
I cleared out his nose enough so he could nurse, but even after a full belly he didn't want to sleep. I brought him out to the living room, so not to wake Jeremy, and hushed him a bit. I started to get really tired so I sat on the couch with him and sang some lullabies. He refused to go to sleep or lay down on me and writhed around until 3:45 when he drifted off. Then his head popped up again at 4am and he was screaming. I took him back to his room and nursed him to sleep.
Just as I climbed into bed at 4:15 Jeremy's alarm was going off and he started getting ready for work. Oy.
O was up again at 6:45 and so went our day. His face was a leaky mess - eyes watering tears down his face, nose gushing clear snot and drool GA-LORE. It just broke my heart. But he was sweet and smiling - in between his fuss and boogies.
I watched him taste another baby's ball at the JCC this week and wondered if this was going to happen. I know I was incredibly lucky to have gone almost 8 months with a healthy baby, but this still sucks. Poor baby Owen, I hope he is better soon.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
it stinks so bad when they are sick - you can't make it better and it just breaks your heart! :(
ReplyDeletefeel better mr. o!
OMG - 4:15??? I would've had Kevin up in a heartbeat helping me. So hard to do that by yourself but I know you had to let Jeremy rest for work.
ReplyDeletePoor baby! I hope he's feeling better very soon, and that you get some rest, Mama!