Friday, October 15, 2010

Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming

Last week was Owen's first swim lesson! You have to be 6 months old for baby swim class, so this was the first session he was eligible for. Jeremy was a swimmer in high school and feels very strongly that Owen is comfortable in the water. Swimming isn't necessarily my thing, I can swim - I don't have any awesome strokes or anything but I'm fine in the water. We signed O up for the evening session from 6-6:30 with hopes that Daddy might get off work in time to make it. Unfortunately, he had a killer day last week and missed it. Jeremy was totally crushed. Not only did he miss the lesson but we didn't have any pictures because it was just me.

I think I did pretty well for a novice swim Mama. Owen was one of the youngest in the class. They started with some songs in a circle and then everyone swims with their child independently until the instructor comes around and works with you. She took O and swam around with him for a little while to feel him out. It was actually really cute, when she swam up to meet us she asked what his name was and when I told her it was Owen she said, "Alright Mr. O - lets see what you got!" She commented on how mellow he was and she even had him swim underwater to me. She says, "ONE...TWO...THREE.... SWIM!" and he HELD HIS BREATH AND SWAM TO ME! She said you have to be very consistent and always give the 1,2,3 cues. At the end there is a toy basket full of water toys to play with and a few more songs in the circle. I was very proud of our sweet boy, and Daddy would have been too!

This week Jeremy was post call - so after working a 32 hour shift he stayed awake so he could take Owen to swim class. He was so excited to swim with our little guy - it just melted my heart. I went to cheer them on and take pictures. The light was terrible and they didn't stop moving so pictures were difficult - but you get the general idea. Our boy is a fish.

Proud Daddy
"Welcome back Mr. O!"
Swimming with the instructor
taking a break to catch his breath
1...2..3...
SWIM!!
aww just-came-up-from-underwater face!
Watching the big kids swim - Owen's favorite part ;)
backstroke
found a toy he liked

Happy Daddy and his little fish baby

5 comments:

  1. YAY!! what a little fishy! :)

    too cute tam - what a proud papa jeremy is too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It scares me how often you talk about 30+ hour shifts. Does he get to sleep any during that time?

    In addition, your kid is super cute in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owen is SO cute....love that name, by the way! I can't wait for E to start swimming lessons...so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy looks SO proud! And you are too cute, Owen - what a little fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is totally blowing my mind that a six month old can hold his breath and swim under water. I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails