Monday, September 20, 2010

Daddy daycare

I had some minor surgery early Friday morning. Some post partum loveliness that didn't clear up and has been plaguing me ever since. I wanted to wait until we were more established with nursing before I went under anesthesia. I was pretty nervous about the procedure but even more about being away from Owen. Jeremy was able to get the day off work to be with me, but the hospital told us we couldn't bring baby O into the pre or post op area. It was actually nice that Jeremy is in the surgery department because we got  in early with a surgeon who was highly recommended and got to hand pick which residents scrubbed my case. We ended up leaving Owen with one of our new friends that we met from Temple. They live down the street and have a 6yr old and a 22 month old. I trust them completely (the husband is a pediatrician) but this was the first time we have ever left Owen with non-family. In anticipation of my surgery, I had been trying Owen with a bottle/sippy cup but he won't take either from me. When we dropped our boy off at 5am - we gave her frozen milk, some pears, a sleepy baby and a hefty dose of "good luck!" This was the longest we've ever been apart and it just broke my heart to leave him. I opted for a lighter sedation so that I could get back to my little one as soon as possible. When we arrived to pick him up, we were given a sparkling report. He took a bottle, ate the pears and took two naps! What a champ our little one.

The rest of Friday didn't go as well as the beginning. I was in quite a bit of pain, so I spent the afternoon/evening resting. I had to dump my first pumping, so Owen took a bottle from Daddy. Owen has another tooth coming in on the bottom, the gum is swollen right next to the first tooth that is already there so he's been a little irritable. On top of the teething he also had his first bout with diarrhea.We're not sure what he got the poops from, perhaps the frozen milk that had been transported from Dayton, but Daddy changed his clothes 6 times on Friday. Sunday night our boy was still poohing his brains out. Luckily, he nursed like a champ this weekend so there were no issues with dehydration. We'll keep an eye on him and also hope that little tooth pops through soon.

The face of a teething baby
The shirt says it all!

They make the same faces
Other than a little soreness, I'm on the mend. I'm hoping this turns out to be a permanent fix and we can put all of this behind us. It was so nice to have Jeremy home the last three days and despite the surgery/teething/baby diarrhea we got to just hang out as a family. I forgot how great it is to have help with Owen. He did a great job taking care of both of us.

1 comment:

  1. hope you're feeling better mama and everything is ok!

    aww, his poor "teething" face - he just looks so uncomfortable :(

    glad he was good for the sitter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails