Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Baby Diarrhea - Day 5

I've cleaned up enough poop in the last five days to fill the diaper Genie TWICE. It suffices to say, I'd even opt for a bout of constipation at this point, if nothing else, to give O's little red butt some time to heal. Yesterday it was two clothing changes before 10am and today - three huge explosions before 8:30am. How is there THAT much pooh in this little tiny boy?? The worst part is, I think he has belly cramps because he cries terribly before pushing it out.

Yesterday was a mess, poor little bug broke my heart with his crying in the morning (robbing us both of his most vocal and smiley time of the day). He was hysterical when I put him in his exersaucer in order to get myself some breakfast. I finally got him down for a nap around 11am, but at 12:45 he was in there screaming again. Owen takes a minimum 2 hr nap - so I knew that wasn't enough sleep for him. I scooped him up and laid him our bed with me. I sang to my sobbing boy and lightly tickled his face and hands until he fell asleep snuggled up next to me. I figured I could use the extra rest too so there we stayed all afternoon. He slept and occasionally woke to nurse on and off until 4pm when he woke up with rosey cheeks and a smile. I got him to eat some bananas and pears hoping to give these poohys some solidity. Then we walked to the park down the street and I swang (swung? what?) on a swing with him in the Ergo. He LOVED it. He even giggled if you can believe it. We took a walk and then came home to play a little before it was time for bath and bed. Owen nursed right to sleep at 8pm.

I called the pediatrician yesterday and they said not to worry so long as the diarrhea isn't accompanied by fever or vomiting. He is still nursing, although a little less than usual. The nurse said dehydration in a baby this age is measured by one pee every 8 hrs. That seemed odd to me, but O is wetting way more than that so that's not an issue. She said if he still has the diarrhea on Thursday I will need to bring him in, otherwise try to nurse and give a little water to keep him hydrated. She also suggested giving him probiotics - which we already do.

Lets hope this little stomach bug works itself out sooner than later, in meantime - I have some pooh laundry to do. Oy.

2 comments:

  1. how's poopy-magoo? :)

    also, like the redesign!

    and? i can't wait to steal your "i nurse in public" button :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, poor kiddo! thanks for the blog recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails