Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adventures in Babyfood

I've decided since I am home with Owen I would make his food. I figure it is a healthier option and I have found it is much, MUCH cheaper - plus I really enjoy doing it. Like I've said before, I'm following some of the recipes and recommendations in the Super Baby Food book.

A few weeks ago we found avocados on sale for $0.40 each. I scooped out the creamy goodness and pureed it in the mini Cuisinart (*love this thing*) and froze it in BPA-free trays with lids.


Three avocados made 24 food cubes (approx. 1 tbsp each). That's 24 servings for Owen. The jar of organic baby food that I have was $0.99 and has 2.5 oz (5tbsp).

Store bought baby food = $0.39.6 per TBSP
Homemade baby food = $0.05 per TBSP

YAY! We're saving money and I feel good about Owen eating food that I made for him. Once the food cubes are frozen, I pop them out and store them in freezer bags in the back of the freezer. I can thaw a cubes in the fridge the night before, out on the counter or in the microwave in a pinch.


SO far I've made avocado, sweet potatoes, bananas and mango (we haven't introduced Mango yet). Owen is still not sure about solids. I try every day - some days he opens his mouth, some days no. Some days we have gagging and head turning and all sorts of mealtime dramatics - other days he's yelling for more and slapping his little hands on the tray. We try to mix some of the new foods with rice cereal and he'll usually tolerate it. He still eats A TON from me, so I'm really not concerned. Our pediatrician said that as long as I'm still taking my prenatal (which I am) Owen should be fine on iron. She said as long as he's doing well with solids by nine months there is no reason to worry or push it.

Daddy tries avocado with Owen for the first time 8/20/10, at first he's not sure
Then he decides it's yummy - well he did that day anyway...
I have a feeling that one day out of the blue, this boy will be an eating machine. But I've learned that's how things roll with Owen - he'll do it when he wants to - and not a minute sooner.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Can't remember how I found you...but we have little boys about the same age! I am also making babyfood, but have been afraid to try avacado thinking it would turn brown. Your pictures look like it stayed nice and green. Did you do anything to keep it from turning brown, or did just freezing it keep them that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday C wouldn't open his mouth for the spoon. Today he had 2.5oz of bananas for breakfast, 3.5oz of green beans and 2.5oz of squash for lunch!! You should make bananas when you're ready-- SO easy!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails