Monday, May 24, 2010

And then you were three, three months that is

My Dearest Owen,

Today you are three months old - one quarter of your first year has passed us by and it feels like just a string of brief moments. This has been a very exciting month for our little family. We sold our house in Dayton - the house your Daddy and I bought before medical school, the place we came home to after we were married and the same place we brought you on your third day of life. This was the first home you ever knew - yet you will only get glimpses of it in pictures. We moved to Pittsburgh so that your Daddy can start his residency next month. Our apartment is small, but perfect for the three of us. Your room is my favorite place in the entire house and even though it isn't quite finished yet, I adore rocking you in the glider and staring at your beautiful crib.

You still sleep in the cosleeper next to our bed. I am not quite ready for you to be across the hall in your nursery yet - I love having you by my side so I can watch your little chest rise and fall in your slumber. Sometimes in the morning, I'll open my eyes and there you are just lying there smiling at me - I am mush my boy, there is nothing better than these mornings. You are growing and changing so much. Last month the brown hair you were born with, turned a slight red just like mine. Daddy and I didn't even notice until strangers on the street commented how my baby boy has hair just like his Mamma! I am actually thrilled about this, but I am trying not to get my hopes up in case it doesn't stay for good ;) Your light eyelashes grew in thick and turned brown overnight, they are evenly spaced and wispy just like your Daddy's. Your eyebrows also grew in, red of course and I'm sorry to report that you've inherited our stinky feet - PEE-EEW my boy! Those little tootsies really do smell!

You gave us quite the scare last month when we discovered you hadn't gained enough weight, but things are looking up. You're finally getting the hang of breastfeeding and have been eating exclusively from me for over three weeks now. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. You are filling out, and sleeping better and overall a MUCH happier baby. You gave us your first social smile right before my 30th birthday. Your Daddy said he almost cried the first time you flashed your gummy grin at him and now he spends his days trying to make you smile. You giggled out loud for the first time on Mother's Day - what a wonderful present for your Mamma! You haven't done it since, but we know your sweet laugh is in there just waiting to come out again. You're drooling like a pro, so much so that we have to put a bib on you now. You started sucking on your (huge) hands and you clasp them together in front of you. When you are happy, particularly in your bouncer or on the changing table, you pump your little legs with excitement. You've also started some dialog with us and your little "oohs" and "coos" melt us every time. I feel like this has been such a huge month, like the tiny little bundle I brought home is now a full blown baby. It is so wonderful to see your personality developing and each day you show us a little more of the tiny individual you're waiting to reveal.

Early this morning, before the sun came up - you and I were awake. I fed you and rocked you and as I felt your gentle baby breath on my neck as you drifted back to sleep I thought to myself, "This boy, this little boy has won my heart a million times over. I am so lucky, so incredibly lucky." Being your Mamma is more wonderful than I ever could have dreamed it would be. Your Daddy and I continue to marvel at you every day. We live for your smiles and we can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.

All my love little one,

Mamma

4 comments:

  1. his smiles are adorable! and drooling already? an early teether you have, just like us! :)

    so glad to hear your nursing is going better! great job you guys! once the stress of getting it all figured out is gone, it really is a relaxing special time :)

    would love to see pictures of the new place :) and johnny slept with us until 18 months - too many cuddles to do in a short little time :) (also, less effort for mama for night nursing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way - the fact that nursing is going well for you two, finally, after you've worked so hard, makes my heart burst with so much joy I can hardly handle it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful love letter to your son! Our boys seem so similar - drooling so much we have to put bibs on them, starting to "talk", pumping their legs with excitement and those fleeting laughs just waiting to erupt. We are so blessed! Happy 3-month birthday, sweet Owen - how loved you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes. Owen is going to certainly cherish these letters one day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails