Friday, April 23, 2010

Two Month Check Up


Today was Owen's two month well baby visit. I was dreading it all week because my sweet babe would have his first immunizations and because the office we go to doesn't order combo vaccines, my little cub would be getting FIVE SHOTS.

Leading up to the visit I knew Owen had not chubbed up the way we would have liked. He has been struggling with the nipple shield and nursing for two hours at a time with seemingly no satisfaction. Even though his pediatrician told us last month to let him sleep for a six hour stretch at night, his longest was 4.5 hours. All of this was making for a very exhausted Mommy. Over the past two days O began to reject the nipple shield all together but seemed to be latching on and draining my breasts in about a half hour. The past two days had gone fairly well, so I was beginning to be optimistic.

Owen was in such a sweet mood when we brought him to his visit - cooing and smiling. We stripped him down to his diaper and put him on the scale and of course he wailed. As the nurse moved the ticker, our hearts sank. 9 lbs 11 oz. Owen had not even gained a pound since his last visit four weeks ago. His head circumference was also behind -falling from the 50th percentile to the 25th, but luckily our little string bean was right on track with his length.

Weight: 9 lbs 11 ounces - 15th percentile
Length: 23.5 inches - 50th percentile

We told her Owen smiled but about two weeks later than expected. We also had to confess that Owen hates tummy time and refuses to lift his head and push up with his arms. His pediatrician was concerned about all of these issues. She observed his apathetic tummy time, and noted that his neck and arms were weak - although his legs are VERY strong. She ordered some blood work to check his hemoglobin and thyroid levels. She instructed us to monitor his food intake and never to let him go longer than 3 hours without eating during the day, with only one long stretch at night.

...and then the nurse walked in with Owens vaccines. SHIT. I totally forgot. I attempted to feed Owen while the nurse fumbled around with the injections. We opted to hold off on Hep B for another month to avoid the 5th injection but the screams coming from my poor babe after four needle sticks were simply torture.

The pediatrician was also not happy to hear my paid maternity leave was denied. She wrote a note last month requesting I stay home for six more weeks with Owen to establish breastfeeding. HR notified me last week that I could take the time, but it would be unpaid because "breastfeeding is not a medical diagnosis and plenty of mothers pump and have perfectly healthy babies." Because Jeremy doesn't start his job until July we couldn't go without income so I went back to work this week. After today's visit his pediatrician called HR and two hours later I received a phone call, "Mrs. Reese, we received a call from Owen's doctor and your sick time has been approved through the end of May. Please stay home and be with your son. We hope things get better soon."

Owen didn't latch for the rest of the day and refused the shield. Each time I sobbed over my sweet babe as Jeremy warmed a bottle of pumped milk for him. He was tired and clingy all evening and I just wanted the day to be over.

All this made for very overwhelmed Mamma. I felt like complete failure - today just wasn't what we wanted to hear. I know things could be much worse and I have so much to be thankful for. Overall we have a happy, healthy son. I have the most incredibly supportive husband any woman could ask for. Me and O just need to get over this little hump. I am praying we can get him back on track. I am praying I can dig deep inside me and find that confident Mamma that I so badly want to be. Can you help me find her?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sweetie,

    In my experience, confidence comes with the second child. For these early weeks with the first one, you just hang on for dear life, and hope to hell that someone else remembers to do the laundry.

    Even if Owen only ever takes breast milk from a bottle, he'll still get all the good stuff from it. Also, don't let the afternoon stuff get you down. Babies are weird for 24-48 hours after shots. You'll make it over the hump, it just takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tam, I'm sorry :( You aren't a failure Mama! Lots of prayers and hang in there!

    Just a couple of things - some babies are long and lean - make sure those percentile charts aren't the formula fed baby charts (breastfed babies grow different).

    my kid's head was always in a way huger percentile than his body, so the percentiles dont' always match up either (luckily, he didn't look like a huge head freak :-p).

    oh and my son? HATED HATED HATED tummy time. much screaming ensued. hated until he was 8.5 months old and suddenly he could scoot and realized tummy time isn't for torture. so, i didn't make him do it often. we would do other things to make him hold his head up, like sitting him up, standing him up, etc.

    hope some of this helps - not in a compare kind of way, but in a, its ok for stuff to not go right kinda way. :)

    ok and SCORE on the more maternity leave. score score score for your ped. supporting breastfeeding so much. that is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi tam
    i'm a new follower.
    just wanted to tell you to hang in there (even though i know that doesn't help).
    you're doing an awesome job with your breastfeeding efforts. don't beat yourself up. if it doesn't work (like it didn't for me) the world will still go on. as long as you have a happy little boy, you're doing your job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tam,

    Just answered your message on FB, but thought I would post here as well. Sorry the appointment was not a wonderful as you had hoped, but you are doing a good job. Like some of your friends said not all babies like tummy time. Soren hated it, but we just did what we could and did other "exercises" so to speak to build his body strength. Have you thought about getting one of those little chair-like things that hold your baby in a sitting position (sorry, can't remember the name)?

    If you are really concerned about the vaccines, have you considered following the delayed vaccine schedule (Dr. Sears wrote a book about this). Some of my nursing friends have set things up so their little one only gets 2 vaccines at a time. I have set things up so that Soren does not get two live viruses at the same time and with the next baby I will probably do the delayed schedule - personal preference - just an idea.
    About the confidence - I still don't always feel the most confident as I would like. As long as you and hubby are doing what you feel is right then it is right and don't let others make you feel bad about it. Your baby will know you are doing your best. Keep your head up. Things will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. allison - bumbo! :)

    we loved that, although, a little bit older than owen is now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing a fab job. I'm sorry you're having some struggles...I can only imagine how overwhelming it all is. Yay for more maternty leave!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails