Monday, April 26, 2010

coo coo pills

Because of the stress of moving, going back to work, fighting with HR, some postpartum medical issues of my own and finally Owen's doctor on Friday - my milk supply is dropping off. I just can't get out of my own head with so much going on around here and unfortunately, feeding a baby requires a relaxed, well-rested Mamma (do those exist?) Now that I don't have to work and Jeremy has packed up most of the house, I'm trying to calm myself down. Owen has completely rejected the nipple shield but is latching. He gets frustrated very quickly when my milk doesn't let down fast enough or there isn't enough flowing. He is a very impatient eater, my boy. So I'm nursing him for as long as he will tolerate and then we're supplementing with pumped milk from a bottle. I pump after each feeding and get just about enough to supplement the next feeding. I know if I could just build up my supply so it floweth over right when he latches on he would eat like a little piggy.

After reading some other blog posts about low milk supply, several women suggested taking the herbal supplement Fenugreek seed. I had Jeremy take me to GNC to pick some up. He looked up Fenugeek and found sites that claimed it cures everything from brain cancer to ingrown toe nails. He says I read to many crazy coo coo pants Mommy blogs - so much so that he insisted on taking the supplement as well... that is until today when he declared this:

"I'm crapping melted snickers bars right now and my breasts don't feel any firmer!"

More coo coo pills for me and I can't say I have much sympathy for him, but I am hungry for a candy bar. I'm holding out hope that my boobies fill up like hot air balloons at dawn. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. i dont know about snickers, but my urine/sweat DID smell like pancakes (maple syrup).

    luckily, it didn't bother me :-p

    fenugreek worked for me, but lots of water and rest is also important - so relax, drink up and have some waffles :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took Fenugreek. My LC said you have to take a lot, I mean A LOT!! Enought so that when you sweat, pee, or just breath you smell like Maple syrup. I can't remember the dosage, but you can look online. Also check out blessed milk thistle (also an herbal magic pill). Glad to hear that you are pumping too - you gotta trick those boobies into action. Just remember the stress of the world can't last forever and you shall get through this too so RELAX! You have a great support team - use it often!

    Peace out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails