Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One Month

With one hello, I'll never be the same - Joy Williams

My Dearest Owen,

I can't believe it has been four weeks since we welcomed you into this world. That you've been in our house and snuggling in our arms for an entire month.

Your Daddy and I marvel at every little thing you do. You make so many faces, ADORABLE faces, when you are fed and content - "fish lips" is by far our favorite. You always sneeze several times in a row and then let out a little sigh at the end that makes us giggle. When we first brought you home we called you "tea kettle" because your cry began with a high pitched squeal. After about a week or so, the squeal muted into your familiar WAAAAAH that everyone rushes to pacify. You are such a strong little boy and are doing a wonderful job holding your head up and pushing with your long legs.

You hate it when Daddy sucks your boogers out with the syringe and you are very impatient when you get hungry. You root insistently and make little snorting sounds - your Daddy and I call you "piggy" when you do this. After you eat, you love to curl up on my chest for a nap with your fists tucked up underneath your chin. I know you were snuggled up that exact same way when you were my inside baby and it makes me so happy that my body is still your safe place. You love it when your Daddy swaddles you nice and tight and when I sing to you softly before you drift off to sleep.

I am amazed that we made you and how much a part of us you really are. Just the thought of you makes me melt. I watch you sleep and thank God over and over again for blessing me with such a sight. I dream about you, I smell like you, I spend my days reveling in your blue eyes and kissing your soft cheeks. I'm trying so hard to breath in every second with you and hold it there. When you were born, you had three little ripples in the top of your right ear. I used to run my finger along them while I fed you, trying to soak up every inch of your adorableness. Today I noticed that you are filling out, and those three tiny ear ripples are gone now. Only I remember them, only I gazed at them for hours a day while you fed and slept. How could they, like your little tea kettle cry, be gone so fast?

Four weeks, my sweet boy, and more has changed than stayed the same. You are bigger, your eyes are wider and you're beginning to interact with the world around you. I am so excited for what each day brings, but I want you to know that I will keep all of the precious moments of your first month of life tucked away in my heart forever. I will think about those tiny ridges, how much I loved them - how soft they were and how new everything about you was to me. I love you so completely and effortlessly. You are my perfect boy and I will spend the rest of my life - remembering yours.

All my love,

Mamma

2 comments:

  1. I used the shield for about 2 months...and the transition was hot&cold. I knwo that's probably not what you want to hear, but I promise it does get better. I would let her latch on with the shield and then once she got into a good rhythm I'd take it off and hope, pray, and cross my fingers that she wouldn't notice a difference. Sometimes she did, other times she didn't. It was all a whole lot of trial & error. One night she was getting fussy and I couldn't find the shield so I gave it a try without and she latched on just fine. We haven't looked back since! :)
    Hopefully O will start his transition a little better than Carley did. Have you discussed this with a lactation consultant yet? I'd be curious to know what other methods they'd recommend. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails