How far along? 33 weeks
How big is baby? 4+ lbs
Total weight gain/loss: +15 lbs
Maternity clothes? I have so many rockin' maternity clothes that are sitting in my closet not being worn. How fancy can you get to sit on the couch? I've convinced myself that I must have another winter baby just so that I can wear the clothes I bought (and never risk being seen 8 months pregnant in a bikini!)
Stretch marks? Nope, but my belly has started to itch a little.
Sleep: Eh, my medicine either keeps me up or zonks me out depending on when I took it and how much I had to eat prior. That combined with 2-4 trips to the bathroom and having to rotate from one side to the other to avoid my hips hurting... let's just say this isn't the best sleep of my life.
Best moment this week: Making it to 33 weeks.
Movement: Lots of hard pushing and stretching going on in there, and the hiccups - he's quite the pro at those!
Food cravings: We've had Thai food THREE times in the last EIGHT days. We're going broke, but man is it good!
Gender: Boy!
Labor Signs: Almost 6 weeks of bed rest down, we're holding out hope for a full term baby.
Belly Button in or out? Mostly flat with a little pop at the top.
What I miss: Helping out, tidying up, feeling energized, not having to ask for simple things and fitting in the bathtub.
What I am looking forward to: When Dr. K told us we might have a baby in just over two weeks - EVERYTHING seems more real. I'm trying so hard to picture us with a baby. OUR BABY! I'm also looking forward to the (bed rest) baby shower my mom is throwing for us, makes me feel like something normal/traditional is happening towards the end of this pregnancy.
Weekly Wisdom I look forward to my email from Babycenter.com each week "Your Pregnancy: 33 weeks" and while I agree with and appreciate much of what is in the emails - today I just couldn't get on board with this:
Some practitioners recommend massaging the perineum (the area between your vulva and your anus) to help you avoid tearing during childbirth. Not everyone is comfortable doing this but if you'd like to give it a try, now's the time to start. Here's one method:
• Wash your hands and then sit in a warm, comfortable area, spreading your legs apart in a semi-reclined position. Put Vitamin E oil or pure vegetable oil on your fingers and thumbs and around your perineum.
• Place your thumbs about 1 to 1 1/2 inches inside your vagina. Press down toward your rectum and then out toward the sides. Gently and firmly continue stretching until you feel a slight burn or tingling. Hold this stretch for about 2 minutes — until the tingling starts to subside.
• Be gentle, as a vigorous touch could cause bruising or swelling in these sensitive tissues. During the massage avoid pressure on the urethra (urinary opening). This can cause irritation or infection.
CAN YOU IMAGINE A PERSON DOING THIS? I'm not easily put off and would say I'm pretty comfortable with my body... but lubing up my V-hole with veggie oil for a stretch session might just be where I draw the line. AND THEN MY HUSBAND SAYS THIS:
Jeremy: I don't think this is a bad idea at all... what do you think the doctor is doing almost the entire time you're pushing?
Me: They do WHAT?
Jeremy: I'm actually kind of glad you're in ignorant bliss about all this...
Milestones: 33 weeks - one more week until lung maturity!!
I had a very nice conversation with the nurse in charge of childbirth education. We're scheduled for two weekend days of 7 hr class and we were afraid since I'm on bedrest we couldn't attend. She assured me they would make every effort possible to accommodate me - from wheelchairs to a full recliner during the session. She said, "Bed rest is really hard on moms and I think it's great for you to get to attend the class in person, ask questions, interact with other people and just feel like you are getting the same experience everyone else has."
She is also doing a one-on-one breastfeeding class with Jeremy and I next Thursday because the one I signed up for was at the very end of February.
I hung up the phone and felt...included. Something I've been grasping at for weeks now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
<<> we did that. but it kind of hurts, the stretch feels like a burning sensation, so i clearly didn't do enough, esp since i did tear, but the nurse was kind enough to do perineal massage during labor as well.
ReplyDeletemore common than you think!
I'm with Mrs. 2nd Lieutenant. Actually both times the nurse or doctor did that massage without me asking - it's just part of the deal. As for the burning sensation, it is just a little preview of pushing a human out. However, if you don't want to do it, you'll still be fine during labor. The benefits are actually questionable according to what I've read, but it absolutely won't hurt anything so they still recommend it.
ReplyDeleteWe did NOT do it...but your husband is right. The doctor does it while you're pushing. I actually read that it doesn't do anything, and it can weaken the muscles and actually lead to tearing if you do it before labor...so you're not missing out!
ReplyDeleteps-Sully had lots of hiccups while I was pregnant. He gets them all the time now! So cute!
It's so nice of them to accomodate you! Childbirth classes are fun...Ben and I learned so much. Here's to hoping you have a full-term babe! :)
ReplyDeleteNot tearing has a lot to do with the position you give birth in. If you are on your back, with an epidural it most likely will happen. The good thing with an epidural, you won't feel it!
ReplyDeleteyes, cindy - biggest birth mistake - back pushing!
ReplyDeletei had a natural childbirth, but was tired at the end - i should have squatted like i wanted to - next time.
that being said, with no drugs, i still didn't feel the tear. its a bit busy down there and all :-p
tam, just a labor tip for you! use that squat bar!
it's just beginning to hit me that I'm going to be pushing this kid out in the next month. I need all the tips I can get, thanks ladies :)
ReplyDeleteoh and if y ou have natural, don't let them give that "10 count" crap. no one can push that long!
ReplyDeleteyou push for as long as YOU feel you can push! :)
ok, i'm done now. sorry, i could talk about this stuff all day! :-p