
I wish I had a fun, witty post for you today to make your heart smile or at least give you a good laugh over my boobs or pee habits. Unfortunately, today we're soliciting warm thoughts, prayers and chuckles from you.
I am 27.5 weeks pregnant - just into my third trimester, and as I've told you before my doctor is monitoring me very closely for preterm labor. We had an appointment two weeks ago and my cervix was high and hard (4cm). Today we were sad to discover it has shortened significantly over the past two weeks and is now 2.5cm and beginning to soften. This progression was seen as dangerous since our babe is still so small so I was put on full bed rest and on Wednesday morning I will have a cerclage put in (essentially sewing the cervix closed). This procedure is most effective during the 12-14 week mark in mothers with a history of cervical incompetence, but can be done later to prevent further progress. It's done in the hospital, I'll have spinal anesthesia and IV antibiotics (to prevent infection) and then they will monitor me and baby for contractions and hopefully send me on my way. I will be on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy, which means a quiet holiday at home and hopefully lots of thoughtful, optimistic blog posts.
This was very hard news this morning, tears were shed and I think I can speak for both Jeremy and I when I say we are sad and scared. We had our first glimpse of what it is like to make a decision on behalf of our child - and it was overwhelming and hard. We trust our doctor and want this little miracle to stay nice and cozy for at least 10 more weeks. We are thankful to have this option and I will do my best to take it easy to give our guy the best possible chance at survival.
The good news is:
My blood pressure is extremely low
I have limited to no swelling as of now
My uterus is still round and holding onto baby (no funneling)
I am NOT in preterm labor
We caught this early enough for intervention
The best news of all is that Jeremy is gearing up to pamper me for the next ten weeks and made me a batch of double chocolate cupcakes, which I think is a pretty good start. I'm going to take it easy, eat the cupcakes, and pray for our sweet little boy. I hope you will do the same. Cupcakes and prayer can't hurt any of us.
Doctor's orders.
I'm sorry, I'm sure this wasn't how you imagined spending your third trimester. I'm praying for you and your bambino, and I will think of you Wednesday, where I'm sure you'll be home in no time with no issues.
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoy the cupcakes.
I found your blog through a guest post you did on Ashley's a few weeks back and am sending good thoughts and lots of prayer your way!
ReplyDeleteHi Tam,
ReplyDeleteI stumbled across your blog via another one, and love your writing style.
I will be praying for you both, and that baby stays put for at least another 10 weeks!
Enjoy the cuppy cakes!
♥EKG
Prayers already coming your way...
ReplyDeletepraying for your sweet little boy. hang in there!
ReplyDeleteBabe... Clench! and, talk to him about this. Tell him that he needs to stay in there and chill for a few more months. Get your mom finger out and tell him. It's a powerful tool and only mom's can use it.
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm rambling - but I don't pray. I am however, sending "you can do this - you are strong" vibes your way!
Call if I can help...
Thank you for visiting my blog! I totally understand your fears as my hubby and I are currently living them. My short cervix (0.8 in the hospital, 2.7 a few weeks later and has now been at 1.5 for 3 weeks) and pre-term labor were discovered at 25 weeks and I was admitted to the hospital for 15 days on mag sulfate to stop the contractions. My doc told me it was too late for a cerclage so you are very lucky to have gotten one!Now I'm home on strict bedrest and a terbutaline pump and twice daily contraction monitoring. I'm 33 weeks now so this should give you hope that your little guy can definitely defy the odds and stay put! 28 weeks was a HUGE milestone...the doctors were so thrilled...so I know your little guy will be just fine. Hang in there, Mama! The things we do for our precious babies! This isn't what I had in mind for my first pregnancy, but it'll be so worth it when baby is here. :)
ReplyDelete