Tuesday, January 22, 2013

No PreSchool Just Yet

We had planned to send Owen to preschool starting in January. With Gillen due the week that school started we didn't want two big life changes for Owen all at once, so we thought things would go more smoothly if we waited until January.

It's no secret that Owen had a rough transition to life as a big brother. I also had a lot of trouble working through the fact that Owen was no longer my baby and the two of us were not the dynamic duo that spent the summer together.

After lots and lots of thought decided not to send Owen to the preschool that we picked out and paid a deposit for. I didn't feel it was the right time for him to be away from me. I wanted us to still have all of our mornings together and even though Gillen is with us now, we're still a little team. I wrote more about our decision here on Kveller.com

I signed us up for Music Together Class that Owen, Gillen and I attend together. While the class was for Owen - Gillen absolutely LOVES IT. Owen was shy for the first two classes and now sings out louder than any other child in the class. He listens to the CD on repeat every time we get in the car and I love to see him so happy about singing.

We are taking a gymnastics class starting in March. I will wear Gillen so that I can still help Owen in class. And we still go to Miss Yovonne's class at the Children's Museum along with our playgroup on Tuesdays.

In addition to our busy social calendar - I also bought a little at home calendar for Owen to update with dates and weather. He loves it! I was struggling with what to do with all of his art projects and we found a display line at Ikea to hang everything up on. This is now one of my favorite places in our apartment.

I didn't go to preschool until I was four and I don't believe I missed out on anything or found myself behind. Owen has lots of social interaction, especially with his buddies that we've been friends with since we moved here and our friends from La Leche League which we attend twice per month.

One of my friends recently commented, "Just so you know, this is definitely homeschooling."

and maybe it is - but it's the best decision we've ever made.



3 comments:

  1. The calendar is so awesome!! Would you mind to tell me where you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you mean "but" like its a bad thing! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia - the calendar was actually from Amazon. They had the best price on it! Lina, I know, I know. BUT how much more granola can I get??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails