Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Two Owies

This morning I took Owen to the pediatrician for his flu shot and HepA immunization.
I've gotten used to taking him by myself, although I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear him scream in pain.

But today was different, today Owen understood.

He played happily in the waiting room, pretty unsuspecting because we hold our monthly La Leche meetings in the very same place so he was happy and comfortable there. Once we were called back to the exam room it dawned on him and immediately he gave me his, "I don't like it here" face. He was clinging to me resting his head on my shoulder and I thought to myself, "I need to tell him."

How could I just let some woman barge through the door and stab his thighs when he knows exactly what is going on. He looks to me to keep him safe, and take away his pain.

Me: "A lady is going to come and she is going to give you 2 owies on your leg. The owies will just be a little pinch."

O: "No owie! No owie!"

Me:"I know you're scared baby, I don't want you to get the owies either, but you need to get these owies to keep you heathy and strong."

O: "No owies"

Me:"And right after your owies we are going to the grocery and you can get a cookie from the cookie lady."

O: "No owies!"

When the nurse came in the room Owen was hysterical. I had to lay on his upper body for her to give the injections and my heart sunk with his visceral reaction to each jab. He sobbed, and sobbed with huge alligator tears crying, "Owies...Owies.." clutching at his leg.

and then just as loud and with just as many tears he cried,

"COOOOOOO-KIEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

and off we went to get my brave and aware little boy,

his cookie.

3 comments:

  1. ugh later shots are the worst. joey had his first ones the other day and he's all, whats going on mama?

    but when they're big enough to know ((shudder))

    so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor little guy! Cookies definitely make it all better though:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails