Friday, September 30, 2011

Cheers to a sweet New Year!

On Wednesday night we had dinner with friends and Owen enjoyed ate apples dipped in honey for the very first time. We were asked to bring a dessert, and I read its traditional to eat honey cake on Rosh Hashanah, so I figured it was time for me to bake one. I had to cutest helper in all the land who has said, "Honey CAKE!" for two days now :)

I've never eaten honey cake before but I hear its the "Christmas fruit cake" of Judaism. Always at the table, yet no one touches it.  I found a WONDERFUL recipe blog that I've been using and her Honey Apple Cake looked as good as any, so I gave it a whirl!


During dessert people looked strangely at the oddly-delicious-looking honey cake. And then my friend Matt said, "This is the best honey cake I've ever eaten!" and his wife Kristen said, "When you said you were going to bake a honey cake I almost warned you against it, and then I thought to myself, 'EVERYTHING Tamara bakes is good' -- and no doubt, I was right." This cake was perfect, the apples melted away to make a moist, yummy cake. This one will definitely be a Rosh Hashanah recipe for years to come!

Apple Jellies  sugar + apples how hard could it be? 
WHY do I always attempt CANDY?!
Harder than it looked, but they are really, really good!

Brisket + Potatoes

Owen and I went to services in the morning - he was in a bad mood and the weather was dreary, so I had a hard time getting good pictures of our boy all dressed up.

 playing with his new puzzle and hat from Grammy and Grandpa Hansen

And even when you're dressed up, you still need to look out for your woo woo ta!
Jeremy was working through much of the holiday, so I was thankful to be invited to several different places to celebrate and eat with friends. Pittsburgh has been wonderful in that sense and the families that we spend Jewish holidays with are so much fun.

L'Shana Tova! Here's to a sweet and healthy New Year
May your name be inscribed in the book of good life!

3 comments:

  1. what a wonderful new year celebration!

    and what a handsome little guy - i love dressed up little boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way his haircut is growing in. It really suits his adorable face!

    Hopefully this next year will bring you much more time with that husband of yours! Cheers to starting it off right and making awesome memories in HHi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, your boy all dressed up?

    *i die*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails