We were seated at the Rabbis table with their family at the front of the room. I fed Owen a 4oz squeeze pack of mango/pumpkin at the begining of dinner just in case he didn't feel like eating Sedar food -- but apparently I underestimated his love for Passover. He gobbled down carrots, matzah balls, chicken, "cookie" (matzah). I guess I didn't pay attention to how much he had eaten over the course of the meal, I was happy to be in the company of friends and at our home temple. Owen was a doll until the very end just as the Rabbi got up to make the closing prayers. Owen started crying, very unlike him but I figured he was tired so I picked him up and bounced him a bit.
And then he threw up mango sedar food down my arm in front over 100 people.
And then when my friend rushed up to help me, I shifted him to my other arm and he projectile vomited down my bra.
And then all over the floor.
My friend looked at me and said, "Dude, you didn't even flinch when he puked down your cleavage. I almost gagged and I have two kids. You are a rock star."
Poor buddy turned green and I just sat down on the floor covered in vomit holding him as he cried. For a second I was embarrassed but then I realized that every Jewish mother in the room felt horrible for me and my little guy. People were rushing to get us napkins and help me get him cleaned up. Of course I took his "back up" clothes out of the diaper bag (they were one size too small and I forgot to replace them - who needs back up clothes anyway! Yeah. right.) but I manged to find a white onesie in the bottom of my bag for him to wear home (I wore wet dress and a puke-filled bra home, which was awesome). When we got back to my friend Rachel's house she and her husband scooped up Owen and gave him a bath while I showered the off of myself. I have really great friends.
I was so scared that Owen was sick and would get the other kids sick - we had a bazillion play dates during our 24hrs in Dayton. Turns out he just over ate. He did come down with a cold this week but I don't think the two were related.
![]() | ||
| The only pre-puke photo I have in his little man clothes that are way too big :) |
![]() | ||
| Group shot, white onesie with puke towels on the floor, best we could do |
![]() | ||||
| Playing with Chava and Avi -- he loved all of their fun toys! |
The cutest part about our visit was when E's little girl Amelia, who is a few months older than Owen but a tad smaller than him, was feeding him Cheerios! He would open his mouth and wait for her to put one in. It was so adorable and I'm kicking myself for not having my camera during our visit with them.
Overall our trip home was a success. I got pretty homesick seeing all of my friends and their kids. I imagined myself there, having playdates with them, Owen going to the baby room during services at temple, our house and how it was the perfect place to raise a family. When we moved, Jeremy and I agreed not to ever drive back by again. We wanted to remember it as it was when it was ours. But I did go to the grocery store down the street and I remembered running in after spin class when I was pregnant with Owen. Before baby, before bedrest. I remember feeling so blissful and confident. Dayton was the place where we made a home, where we were married and where my son was born. Part of my heart will always be there and I hope one day I can feel the same way about Pittsburgh.




No comments:
Post a Comment