Sunday, April 10, 2011

He was really, really hot

Owen is really sick again. He woke up Saturday with a mild fever, which I thought might be teething since I noticed he has an incisor breaking through. By mid-day I realized he was definitey sick; cligy, crying, temperature rising. He nursed but wouldn't eat. He took a nap from 3-7pm and when I went in to get him his fever was 104 and he threw up all over me. We gave him a cool bath and tried to bring it down. He was pretty cool by the time we put him down at 10pm with some Advil. He was fitful so I went in and out rocking him back to sleep and finally got to bed myself at midnight.

I set my alarm for 3am to check on him and redose his Advil. When I went in he was sleeping in a huge pile of vomit and when I reached in to get him he was burning up.

I was already so upset about the vomit, how did I not hear him throw up on the monitor? I woke Jeremy to put on fresh sheets while I changed Owen. I took his temperature and it was 106.4

and I took it again because I felt like I was going to faint.

106.4

I got really upset and we realized we needed to take him to the hospital. Jeremy wanted to get his fever down a bit before we went and waited in the ER. We gave him Advil and called the doctor while we put him in a cool tub. He was such a trooper. The water was COLD, but he let me read him his splash book over and over without so much as a complaint. After an hour we could only get the temp down to 104.9.

Jeremy dressed for work and we carpooled to Children's Hospital. They got us in very quick and by the time they took his temp is was almost under 100. When the doctor came she said she had never seen a temperature register that high and that they wanted to run some blood work  -- given this was the second episode of high unexplained fever in the last month. We decided since he was having an IV blood draw we would also get him some fluids, since his wet diapers have been scarce.

He was SUCH an angel. My sweet boy barely made a fuss when they put the IV in his hand.


The doctor came back and to let us know the blood work all came back very good,

"we were a little worried about cancer."

CANCER. I died a little inside.

I guess some forms of leukemia present with very high fevers that appear to be sporadic. I didn't want Owen to be sick, but I was thankful for a virus and not ... well something I hadn't even considered.

We were able to bring him home mid morning and I've been trying to keep his fever down all day. As soon as the Advil/Tylenol start to fade his fever spikes again. We're hoping it will break soon. It was a beautiful day, so after he and I took a long nap we went for a walk and I blew some bubbles for him. He loves to be outside.



 We're still trying to keep his fever down tonight, but here's hoping some spring sunshine on these baby toes helped a little.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Tam, my heart broke a little bit reading this post. I can't imagine how scared you and Jeremy must've been, and I can't read that terrible C word without tearing up. So thankful for your little family tonight, that your sweet boy is on the mend. Holding you all in my thoughts! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babies shouldn't get cancer. What an effed up world for that to even be an option.

    Also, had Jeremy thought of that? I always wonder if doctors wander around thinking their kid is half dead once they admit that they're actually sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmigosh Tam. i can't even imagine how terrfying this must have been for you and jeremy! :(

    and im SO glad the doctor waited until AFTER finding out he was ok to use the "c" word. GACK!

    praying for mr. owen to feel lots better soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, oddly enough Jeremy had not considered cancer. I think we were so focused on trying to get that fever down and he was more worried about an elevated white count from some sort of localized infection (bladder, kidney). Once they came back and mentioned the cancer he said that really was the best differential, when coupled with the high fevers a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my oh my! many prayers being said for your sweet little boy! i hope he gets back to normal soon and stays the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor sweet Owen! praying for you all and that his fever leaves and doesn't return!! keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails