This is the first year we're observing Peseach by not consuming hametz (anything leavened or containing the Biblically prohibited grains rye, wheat, barley, spelt, oats). Its pretty much the South Beach Diet - add matzah! Owen won't observe this year because I'm having a hard enough time feeding him and limiting bread, puffs and pasta pretty much leaves me with yogurt, peas and butternut squash. Being raised in an interfaith house, Jeremy has never observed this way either so it will be a new challenge for both of us but we're looking forward to it. We feel like we need to have a few "practice years" before we're telling Owen what is an isn't okay to eat for these eight days (we're still asking ourselves that same question...) We can't afford to "throw away" or even "give away" all of our hametz but we'll be putting it away so not to entice us during the week.
I spent a little time this week reading recipes and deciding on a few. Anything that comes out yummy will go in our recipe binder as a Passover staple and I'm exited to start building some traditional foods to share each year. I'm trying to find some fun things to eat so the next week feels more like "fun spirituality" than "restrictive dieting." Jeremy's packed lunches are my biggest obstacle right now and I'm toying with the idea of making some matzah rolls so that he can still have a "sandwich" to eat on the go.
Today was a HUGE success, these Chewy German Chocolate Meringues were TO DIE FOR and I don't even really like meringues. I seriously had to stop Jeremy and I from eating them because I needed to save some to bring to the Sedar on Monday night. It didn't hurt that the only chocolate I had on hand was a bar of Scharffen Berger. Mine didn't crack like this, they still had the pretty swirly tops. I think because I used 3/4 cups of coconut and omitted the nuts (nuts in dessert = yuck!) The prep was super easy, even though this was my first attempt at "stiff peaks" and I was terrified I'd screw it up - I think I rocked those peaks! The 1 hr cooking time seemed like FOREVER. What is this a meatloaf?
But it was totally worth it. I'm really hoping this wasn't just beginners luck.
I'm off to bed. More baking to do tomorrow but I'll leave you with a Passover story on Kveller.
Shabbat Shalom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

a) i loved your kveller article :-p
ReplyDeleteand 2) just a thought on feeling "sacrificial." dont get me wrong, i totally applaud your looking for fun and traditional things to get into the joy elements of the season with (God's victory of Egyptians, hope of the Promised Land, end of that whole nasty slavery bit)
BUT i would also think it would be good to embrace the hard part of it as well. i think its part of the memorial experience, truly putting yourselves in the shoes of our ancestors who had to grab all their stuff, bake some quick bread and run the heck out of there for... where? parts of unknown. as owen (and others :-p) get older, it becomes a talking point, i think, for the anxiety, fear and such as the 12 tribes departed for a big unknown, based solely on faith in God and Moses ability to lead them.
obviously, i'm coming from a christian perspective but our love and focus on sacrifice came from our Jewish heritage! i mean, we believe that Jesus is the PASSOVER lamb. :)
anyways, i just think its worth teaching both elements, you know?
that being said, i'm sure miriam and other israelite housewives would have whipped up some of those meringues, had they had the option, because DANG those look delish!! :) oh and with coconut... drool! i gave up sweets for lent, so i am in the mood for ANYTHING containing sweet, sweet sugar :-p
Don't forget about quinoa! It gives you that pasta like side dish but it's really a seed and packed with tons of nutrients! There are tons of recipes online but it pretty much takes the taste of whatever you cook it with.
ReplyDelete