Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Homemade Ducky Party

Owen's party was so wonderful! We had over 30 people in our apartment to celebrate with us, including 11 children (9 of them were under 2.5!) Owen took a nap from 11-130 and woke up refreshed and ready to greet his guests. I was worried that he would be overwhelmed with all of the people around, but he did his own thing - playing with his toys and crawling around.

I made his hat with some fabric and a pom-pom!
 We forgot to put it on while he was eating cake, but he tried it on afterward
(yes, we let him enjoy the rest of his party completely covered in cake!)


I made the banner with fabric and iron-on adhesive (no sewing for this Mama). I was really happy with the way it turned out and I'm excited to hang it up in his room!

Owen's 'Uncle' Amos flew in from New York to spend the weekend with us. He is close to 7 feet tall so I assigned him streamer duty! I showed him a picture of my "dream room" and he replicated it perfectly (in just under 2 hours!) It looks so awesome we're keeping them up until it falls down ;)

I found some cupcakes toppers that I liked on Etsy but they were really pricey so I cut these ducks out of poster board one afternoon when O took an extra long nap. I glued them to candy sticks and nestled them in the cupcakes with mini marshmellow bubbles. I didn't expect quite so many RSVPs so I made some extra cupcakes and decorated them with mini rubber ducks I scored on Amazon for $6 a dozen! Owen's cake was a double layer vanilla cake with butter cream frosting in the center. His Nana iced it for me and then we melted some marshmellow "bubbles" and put his bath duck on top. Turned out just like I had hoped!

I made 50 ducky sugar cookies  - these cookies have become a staple in our house for almost any occasion!

In addition to the cupcakes, cookies and snacks we served turkey chili and had a little topping station with cheese, sour cream, Tabasco and Fritos! We also had a cheese tray and some coctail weiners. Everything was gobbled up by parents and kids alike!

We cut some ducky foot prints out of a piece of orange foam and taped them to the floor with packing tape - this proved to be a HUGE hit with the babies. It was the first thing Owen noticed when he woke up and all of the kids loved pulling them up and re-sticking them places.

I made the other party hats out of card stock and poms. 

Owen's gift to his friends was a CD mix of his favorite songs starting with FIVE LITTLE DUCKS! Our printer prints directly on the CD and I found a pack of the printable disks for $5! This gift cost us less than $1 per child. They also took home a party duck and a balloon. We had some very satisfied customers. Note: helium balloons are a HUGE hit with toddlers!

We received so many compliments about O's party and most of all I think he had a blast. The party was from 2-4 but people lingered around until 7pm! Owen and his Daddy kicked back and relaxed with a beer ;) I adore how his hair is matted with cake and he has a wrinkled streamer around his neck. You can tell he really partied HARD!


 HOW OLD IS OWEN?
ONE!!

7 comments:

  1. ohmigosh tam, best party EVA!! :) you rock mama!

    i LOVE all the duck stuff that you made, amazing! (and bubble marshmellows - too fab!)

    we did balloons as favors for johnny's first two partys (balloons tied to bananas for his monkey one party and balloons tied to footballs for his football party) - the kids LOVE them and the parents love them even more cuz its not CPC! :-p

    the mantles, the duck cookies, the foot prints! too too much - will you come do my kangaroo party? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lina you could easily make kangaroo toppers for the cupcakes! You could top with little green "jimmies" and they could be kangaroos in the grass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tam, it looks so wonderful! You are an amazing mama and Owen is so lucky to have you! It looks like the little guy had a ton of fun - happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are such an amazing mama! what a wonderful, creative, personalized party you threw for your sweet boy. he is so lucky to have you and jeremy! xo

    and omg, the suspenders - i just melted into a puddle of goo and died.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you are super creative! Everything just looks great...I LOVE the theme! It does look like Mr. Owen had a fantastic time. If you lived closer I'd need to hire you as my party planner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable, you did such a great job!! I love his duck suspenders! So many cute little touches. Awesome!

    P.S. You should submit this to "Party Like a Kid!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're too freaking adorable. I love all of it, the do not feed the ducks sign made me literally LOL. Love the little man's suspenders too :) Nice work mama!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails