Friday, February 11, 2011

Holy Molars!

Owen is finally over his stomach bug after a nice big dose of squirts to finish it off (and give Mama plenty of onesies to scrub...) I assumed he would return to eating solids once he was feeling better, but it seemed to get worse. Other than his morning oatmeal he is refusing all solids and nursing every 2-3 hours. Jeremy and I had no idea what was going on. Owen has lost almost a half of a pound in the last 1.5 weeks - and I feel like it took forever to put that half pound ON HIM! We called the peditrician and they said not to worry as long as he's nursing, "He'll eat when he's hungry." So for reassurance I also talked to our neighbor(peditrician) and he said when his son had rotavirus it took over 3 weeks for him to want to eat again.

Then I randomly checked in Owen's mouth and there is was... a tiny bit of molar broken through. Like less than one of the little points. I'm pretty sure they are coming in (at a snails pace) on both sides because Owen has been sticking things in the back of his mouth and biting down really hard. The good news is - unlike the rest of his teething episodes that prompted a nursing strike - this one has been quite the opposite. Lots.of.nursing.

Owen is also waking at night. Full on standing up in his crib screaming for me. I have been a VERY, VERY spoiled Mama in that Owen hasn't woken up to nurse at night since he was about 5 months old. Now he's up every 2-3 hours hysterical and won't go back to sleep unless I nurse him and rock him. Jeremy tried to relieve me last night and Owen freaked out so bad you would have thought Hanibal Lecture went in to check on him (it probably didn't help that he hadn't seen Jeremy in over two days...) so even when there is a Daddy here to help me, Owen isn't having any of it. 

As with all things, we're just going with it. I honestly believe (at least for us) that teething is the horrible monster that no one prepares you for. But molars? MOLARS ARE WORSE.

So we've been lying low. I made some shakers out of tupperware and Owen banged on them with a spoon. That kept him occupied for, Oh, 1.5 SECONDS. I've had to go to bed early with Jeremy because I've been up so much at night - this is putting huge damper on my preparation for Owen's party. I cannot believe my little bug will be ONE in just two weeks.

Looks like he's getting molars for his birthday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the teeth...you said it best. It is a big horrible monster and no one tells you about it. It's times like this, Mama, that you should be so proud of your nursing relationship...when I had mastitis last week, and when C was sick (as he has been so frequently), I couldn't have been more happy that we were still going strong. I know it's the same for you. Horray for our bodies for providing for little ones who like to go on sold food strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen to megan! you know breastmilk is extra good for teething, it has some stuff in it that helps take the edge off the teeth pain.

    although really, nothing helps molars, it seems. ugh, what a bear :(

    praying those teeth come quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate teething. You guys just can't catch a break =(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails