We got an inch or so of snow last night and Daddy's alarm didn't go off. I ended up waking him when I heard all of the text messages coming in from the hospital. Cue: Panic Daddy off to work. Roads were a mess. PITTSBURGH HAS HILLS PEOPLE!? What?
All Owen wanted to do was nurse and he refused to nap. Not sure what has been up with our bug lately but he's been a little off. Either wants to nurse all day or not at all. Naps are either perfect - 2, 2hr naps or no naps at all. So he played in the exersaucer during what would have been his nap so that I could still fold some laundry and get dinner made. And brownies. And lemon bars.
Dinner was AWESOME. A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Korma Chicken in the crock pot. Jeremy and I aren't huge Indian food fans but I figured we'd give it a shot for something different. I had all of the ingredients except for minced ginger and she was such a sweetheart she dropped of a little baggie of minced ginger in my mailbox yesterday morning - PERFECT!
This meal was so awesome. I only used 1/4 tsp of cayanne because I was afraid it would be too hot. We might like it a little hotter next time so I'll add some back in. I used a mix of breasts and thighs. I also added peeled/cubed potatoes which turned out great. Jeremy and I pretty much polished off this entire meal. There was no brown rice left and only about one serving of Korma that we'll have to fight over later this week. YUM!
Then to top off tonight, I let O play with my phone for FIVE MINUTES. It is his goal in life to obtain our phones. He wants them to light up. Once he get it-- in the slobbery mouth it goes. So, we don't let him play with phones or ipods. Until tonight. Jeremy ALWAYS tells me not to let Owen play with my phone so I take it away from him as soon as I see him grab for it. Tonight, well, tonight it was keeping him quiet. He was a fussy monkey all evening (see above, NO NAPS) and I just wanted him to be happy --- so I let him play with the phone. I saw him biting it and dropping it down the couch cushion. I took it back, he cried, I put him to bed.
I came out to find my phone was totally dead. Once we finally got it started up again it was shorting out and going to some strange sych screen. Long story short - my phone is toast.
And now its snowing again and supposed to do so through tomorrow night. I will be without a phone for a while because I am not venturing out to the Sprint store - in the snow - with my baby. The Sprint store makes me want to go postal. AND I love my phone and I'm pretty sure they don't carry it anymore plus I'm due for a new one. Which means I'm going to have to pick a new phone. (CHANGE! NO NOT CHANGE!) Which means I'm going to have to LEARN A NEW PHONE. I don't even know how to do half of the shit on my current phone and I've had it for over 3 years.
That was our day. I lost a ton of phone numbers. I made an awesome dinner. My husband is asleep on the couch and my baby is asleep in his crib.
I'm eating a lemon bar.
I'm paying it forward. Take it from me, the recipe is awesome and don't let your baby play with your cell phone.
The end.
![]() |
| Not mine, but this is exactly how it looks |
Chicken Korma- crock pot recipe
1/4 cup vegetable oil1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (I use bottled, minced ginger)
2-inch piece cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
salt
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts*, pureed in food processor
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (for garnish)
In a large frying pan over med-high heat, warm the canola oil. Add the onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and cumin and saute until the spices are fragrant and evenly coat the chopped onion, about 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt and deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits. Bring to a boil.
Transfer the broth-spice mixture to a slow cooker. Add the chicken strips and stir to coat. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender and the sauce is thickened. 3 hours on the high-setting or 6 hours on the low-heat setting.
About 15 minutes before the chicken is done, combine the buttermilk and cashews in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until the nuts are finely pureed and combined with the buttermilk. Add to the chicken and stir to blend with the chicken and sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce is completely heated through and thick, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon and bay leaves. Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro.
*to roast the cashews spread on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Flip once.

So how'd the lemon bars turn out?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the recipe, I was thinking as I was reading "she better post that!" And what is it with babies and phones? Knox loves ours, too, though Trevor's is far too precious to him to ever let Knox touch it. He loves the pink cover on my Blackberry to chew on, and drool always gets lodged between it and the phone. I am very sorry that Owen killed yours completely! They need to make baby-proof phones, I think!
ReplyDeleteI am convinced Charlie will destroy my phone. It locks now and he doesn't put it in his mouth, but he knows how to go online with it!
ReplyDeleteGood news is, if you choose, O can now have the dead phone :)
I want to try this dish.
I made cookies last night. And I ate all of them. All 8. yes. I did.
im glad im not theo nly one who HATES NEW PHONES.
ReplyDeletei feel like some 75 year old grouch who doesn't get "this new fangled gizmos" but every time its time for a new phone (ie now and only because mine broke in half. sigh), i look at whats available and freak out because they are all SO complicated.
i just want to CALL people. oh and snap a couple of pics of my cute kids every now and again...