Friday, November 5, 2010

An unfamiliar face

Jeremy is off today after 23 days without a day off. He is actually off this entire weekend and I'm totally jazzed about it. It was actually weird having him home this morning. It was sad that it was weird to have my husband home. When Jeremy is home I try to let him do things to care for Owen. Besides nursing him, for obvious reasons, its nice to have the help and I want him to feel connected to O. Don't get me wrong - its VERY hard for me to keep from giving step by step instruction on how to do things. You have to tighten his bib or food drips down his neck. Don't put too much on the spoon. When he makes that noise it means he wants more.. ect.. ect.. ect.. I have to tell myself that even if Jeremy doesn't do it the same as I do, it will be fine the way he does it too.

When I woke up to my husband feeling me up at 730 I was somewhat startled. Did he miss work? Did I miss Owen crying? WHY was I  having a dream that I had a disease in which a pencil-thin snake was growing out of my face, just underneath my nose and I had to get it surgically removed except for when I went in for the consult they said it was the longest snake-face case in the history of all cases and I needed to have it measured for the Guinness Book of World records BEFORE I COULD HAVE IT REMOVED. I'm scared to DEATH of snakes. I know. My dreams are totally screwed up. I blame the hormones.

I thanked him for waking me up and he said,

"Sorry I was just feeling to see if you had fed Owen yet. Obviously you hadn't."

So what use to be playful, sexual communication between two consenting adults has now become a way of knowing whether or not our son had slept through the night. I chuckled to myself.

Daddy scooped Owen out of his crib, changed him and brought him to me (so awesome!) He then was forced out of his own bed because Owen is too easily distracted to nurse while other people are around. Its usually not a problem - there's never anyone else around.

He spent the rest of the morning asking, "So what does Owen do now?" and I told him about how our day usually goes. We play with toys in the morning and Owen starts to fuss right around 9 when he wants to nap ---- 8:58, Owen fusses.

During Owen's nap we talked a little, listened to some music (I am so loving the song Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars) and prepped some dinner for tonight. We talked about what to do this afternoon even though it was cold and raining outside and discussed a holiday wish list for Owen (because people have started asking, we're working on it!)

Jeremy looked over at the monitor around 11am and noticed Owen was playing in his crib. Off he went to get our boy and dress him for the day. I absolutely love it when my colorblind husband dresses Mr. O. I waited in the living room for him to come out - wondering what hot-mess-of-an-outfit our son would be wearing.

He came out with a green thermal onsie (that I've never dressed him in because it was 12 mons and I thought was too big, guess not) green track pants and camo socks.

Me: Aww I love when Owen wears green - he looks so cute! Good job Daddy!

Jeremy: I thought this outfit was brown....


***LOVE***

3 comments:

  1. I adore this post! Way to go, Daddy!

    Tam, you could've taken the words right out of my mouth when you wrote that you have to hold back from giving Jeremy instructions on Owen's care...I still catch myself instructing Kevin even though he's home every night. Yikes! Good reminder that even if it's not the way I do it, his way is okay, too.

    Enjoy a wonderful day together as a family of 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) this was totally so cute :) papas dressing their kids is hysterical. i shudder to think what he might put on a girl, if we have one one day :-p

    2) i fell out of my chair laughing at his "did he sleep through the night" check!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owen hears Jeremy get up for work which is anywhere between 4-6am. So he usually wants to eat when he hears him. Today Daddy didn't leave - so Owen slept till 730am!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails