I spend countless hours choosing "THE CARD" and bdazzling them with stickers and confetti. Even before I converted to Judaism, I looked for a general-holiday-themed card as not to exclude anyone or make assumptions about their religious practices. Snowmen have always been a big draw for me, a few years I purchased holiday cards from Planned Parenthood and once I sent some from UNICEF. Peace on earth is pretty standard greeting and I haven't met too many people who'd complain about that. And then there's the five straight minutes I spend cursing the price of stamps. 44 CENTS?! EFFF! oh and then and I spend another five minutes cursing the annual government installment of "holiday themed" stamps that usually picture red nosed deer, smiley elves or the blessed virgin. Except for this year they have pine cones AND I THINK PINE CONES ARE AWESOME! How could you possible offend someone with a pine cone? Evergreens and world peace - now there's something I can get on board with.
This year my decision is two fold 1) choose a card and 2) choose from the THOUSANDS of adorable pictures of my son to splat on the front of it. We've come to understand that Owen is now the main attraction of our family and people could care less about seeing Jeremy and I. Both in person and in pictures, so this holiday season - we aim to please.
I was really happy with the little zoo book that we made from Shutterfly last month so I've been eyeing their holiday holiday cards. Here are the front runners...
1. We are Jews - so why aren't yous? card
{Hanukkah}
2. Holy shit a lot happened this year (replacing "Merry xmas" with some secular verbiage) card
3. We had a kid and he grew a lot this year if you don't believe me just look at all these pictures
{New Year}
Right now I'm favoring an out with the old in with the NEW YEAR cards. Only because it allows for another month and a half of picture taking and procrastination. Two of my very favorite things.
You know what else I like? FREE STUFF. Shutterfly is offering 50 free cards to bloggers. Check it out and fill your loved ones' mailboxes with something other than bills this holiday season.
And then go prepare yourselves for the adorableness that is my child. Coming soon!



I would love to send you a card when we send them out =) I had already ordered mine when I found out about the promotion. Hopefully they do it again next year!!
ReplyDeleteOMG - that New Year card is the one we're likely using! I found it a few weeks ago on Shutterfly and since Connor was born on 1/9 and looks nothing now like he did then, I thought the every month photo would be fun. :) It's consuming all my extra time trying to find JUST THE RIGHT pics for each box...but it's so fun! :) Would love to send you a card this year...message me your address! xoxo
ReplyDeletei think its totally not offensive to send a hannukah card because YOU are jewish - thats what you celebrate, its not like you're making other people celebrate it! :-p
ReplyDeleteall those cards are super cute tho, i know i'm gonna have a hard time deciding (we're shutterfly people too)! new years cards are also brilliant!
Bwaaaaaahhaha!
ReplyDeleteI love the "we are Jews, why aren't yous?"
Not Jewish, but Catholic here, would still love to get cards of any kind from my friends.
My husband refuses to send out serious holiday cards so we are always doing something to give people a laugh.